Prolotherapy

DebbieM8
DebbieM8 Member Posts: 3
edited 3. Jun 2021, 12:58 in Living with arthritis

Hi I wondered if anyone had ever tried Prolotherapy for arthritic knees.

Any advice or comments would be greatly received.

Many thanks

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

A quick Google search reveals that Prolotherapy is a procedure where a natural irritant is injected into the soft tissue of an injured joint. Supporters believe that it may provide significant relief for joint or back pain.  Prolotherapy is sometimes available on the NHS (but not widely) so there may be a significant cost implication to trying this treatment. It is usually seen as an option to try when other options have failed to maintain an improvement.

• DebbieM8
    DebbieM8 Member Posts: 3

I was advised to try it by my Osteopath who said it may work as I am finding it difficult walking any distance, as when I put pressure on my knee it is really painful. I have made an appointment for next week and just wondered if anyone else had tried it as I am a bit wary of trying something just in case it might aggravate the situation and make it worse. However if some NHS doctors recommend it, it may be okay.

I think it costs about £200 per injection.

I have tried physiotherapy, braces, etc. and need something which may help a bit more. I also tried acupuncture but this made it worse.

I will go and see what it entails and report back my findings and in the meantime if anyone has tried it I would be really grateful to hear how you got on.

Thank you so much.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

If you google 'prolopathy NHS' you will get some research results.

I have not heard anyone using the forum mention having had it. Do please let us know how you get on if you do go ahead.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

It is not something that I would consider trying unless it was provided by the NHS.