Benepali/Etanercept & Travel

Options

I have been taking the 50ml pre filled injections for about 3 years now but am now looking to go on a long holiday in a tropical country. My concern is that this has to be kept under a certain temp and if I’m going on a (possible) 14 hour plus flight and then going to be in 30+ heat before I reach a cool room in the hotel. What have you guys done? Got any tips on ways around keeping it cool

Comments

• Elmbow
    Elmbow Member Posts: 80
    Options

You can buy a FRIO pouch for this purpose. Only take the pens you'll need for your stay. Get a letter from provider stating why you're travelling with injectables and requesting that they're not put through the airport scanner. So if you're going on a two-week holiday, take two pens in a FRIO pouch. It will take at least a day before they get to room temperature, then once at room temperature they can be left somewhere cool like the bathroom for 14 days no problem. Don't put them in the mini bar.

Just be mindful of where you put the FRIO pouch while travelling. Make sure it's not near a heated part of the aircraft or a car glovebox or somewhere where it could warm up much more quickly.

FRIO pouches.

• jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options

Hi. I’ve been on Etanercept for 3 yrs.. Although I have a letter from HAH, I’m not keen on taking them away with me. Last year I went to Australia for 5 weeks & didn’t want the hassle of finding somewhere I could take a sharps box for disposal. We stopped overnight in Dubai & Singapore there & back. The hotel rooms did not have fridges & I was reluctant to hand the pens to reception. So, after discussion with Rh nurse, I decided to pause my injections. I was fine, as I generally am when it’s warm ( it was summer in Australia). I took some steroid tablets as a back up but didn’t even need those. I guess I was lucky . As an aside, we landed at 18.30 hrs on March 23rd. By midnight, we were in lockdown & I had to shield. I didn’t see my family , including my 95 yr old M in L until July.

Hope this helps

kath

• Tessann
    Tessann Member Posts: 6
    Options

I’ve been taking Benepali for some years now - it works brilliantly for me. In the past the”airport letter” specifically said that it should not go through X-ray scanning but the current letter only mentions temperature. Does this mean that X-rays are fine? Can I take the Frio through ready-soaked?

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

I've never done 'the injectables' but I'm just wondering if this might be something to do with the more relaxed rules on liquids. Personally, I'd get proper clarification from rheumatology and, maybe, from the airport(s).

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tessann
    Options

I’ve been taking Benepali for some years now - it works brilliantly for me. In the past the”airport letter” specifically said that it should not go through X-ray scanning but the current letter only mentions temperature. Does this mean that X-rays are fine? Can I take the Frio through ready-soaked?

• Tessann
    Options

Thank you - sorry about my comment appearing twice - just learning how it all works!