Query my type of arthritis??

Options

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Over 40 yrs I suffered an unusual type of arthritis. Any excessive strain on a joint causes extreme pain with inflammation and swelling in wrist and hand thru carrying heavy shopping bags, for example. After 4 or 5 days it improves and disappears as tho it had never been??? I know I'm very fortunate compared to folk who suffer permanent arthritis, as did my mother. 38 yrs ago a rheumatologist told me that my type of arthritis would not destroy the joints... how lucky am I? Does anyone recognise this, as I've never met anyone who suffers the same? Thank you.

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @Kayak6582 - welcome to the online community!

I can see you've had a form of arthritis for years, and it's manifested with flare ups of inflammation in your hands a writsts when you strain them, but then it goes away again. You're wondering what type of arthritis this may be and if anyone else here has a simialr condition.

I'm going to preface my responce to say I'm in no way medically qualified and cannot give a diagnosis, but it sounds a bit like Pallindromic Rheumatism. Have a read of the information linked below and see if it sounds right to you:

It's good you've identified the type of strain which can cause your flare ups, as that helps immensly with managing any condition. I would keep monitoring it tho - if it *is* Pallindromic Rheumatism then some people with that go on to develop Rheumatoid Arthrtis, so worth keeping track (not the majority of people tho, so don't worry about it!)

I can imagine it can very easy to forget about it since it vanishes, to be honest, so you're possibly more likely to accidentally strain yourself then someone who has a constant reminder. So I'd say there are advantages but also disadvantages 😊

Do have a look around the community and join in elsewhere. We're a friendly bunch and we're happy to discuss most things.

It's lovely to meet you!

Shell

• Elmbow
    Elmbow Member Posts: 80
    Options

Hello. Are you still under the care of a rheumatologist? It might be a good idea to get re-evaluated. Rheumatology has come a long way in the last 40 years and you might get a better explanation now, as well as a better treatment plan. Best wishes.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Kayak6582

Thank you for posting on the forum, it looks as if Shell and Elmbow have given helpful responses, and it would be good to check this out with a rheumatologist as Elmbow suggests. You are very welcome to give us a ring on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am-8pm) here we can take our time to talk informally and in confidence, sometimes a listening ear can be helpful.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline Advisor

• Clemmie
    Clemmie Member Posts: 3
    Options

I’m new to this site so looking at other peoples journeys. Mine started with acute pain like yours that would appear in different sites then after a few days disappear completely!! I felt like a hypochondriac as pain agonising at times popping up all over the place then disappearing!

i was diagnosed with palindromic rheumatism . I tried many treatments including methotrexate but pains never stopped. I was told it may just stop or develop into rheumatoid arthritis. Unfortunately mine did develop into serous positive RA and since told I had psoriatic arthritis too .

eventually on embrel which controlled things somewhat . Now on amgevita injection. No acute flares for ages (fingers crossed I’ve not jinxed it )

i hope you find a treatment that works