Hi there .. newbie with possible PSA

Options
Nevan76
Nevan76 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi .. I started having issues with swollen index fingers last April, also started to get patches of itchy dry skin on torso and personal areas. Then had severe carpal tunnel type symptoms. Due to covid not seen anyone F2F but my wife did some research and paired the symptoms together as PSA. I had a call with a gp who referred me to local rhuematology team. I had a course of steroids last October which helped and started sulfasalazine. Symptoms still there and getting worse with hip/ shoulder/ knee pain. Im waking at night with bad pain and stiffness in my hands 🙄 Im getting really frustrated with it now and still have no formal diagnosis. I was swimming 1k everyday before lockdown and walk a fair bit but finding this can cause issues with my hips/ knees. Any help suggestions with diet / supplements or alternative therapies out there ?

Thanks

😃

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Nevan76

Lovely to meet you and welcome you to the Versus Arthritis online Community.

I see from your post that you suspect you have Psoriatic Arthritis and I think are still awaiting a face t face appointment with a rheumatologist. A course of steroids really helped you and the moment you are taking sulfasalazine. In spite of this you are suffering with pain and stiffness and struggling to sleep. Not being able to get rest really doesn't help I know.

You ask whether anyone has tried any supplements/ alternative therapies so I am attaching a link which you might find helpful:

There are quite a few of our members who have Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) hopefully one or two may come along and have a chat with you. Having said that everyone here understands pain. Your wife sounds to be very supportive I am going to attach a link about PsA just in case, but think you have probably looked at it already:

Do have a look around the forum and join in wherever you feel comfortable.

Best wishes

Ellen

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @Nevan76

I am sorry to hear you are struggling so much at the moment. It's a shame you can't see your rheumatologist in person because there's a lot more that could be done to help you. A lot of us take medications to relax our muscles which have the knock on effect of helping us to sleep. In addition the DMARD you are on sulfa is one of the mildest they give out to us you may need another one added in. Many of us take more than one to get our symptoms under control.

As for alternative therapies etc. All I do is exercise (even if only a little) every day eat healthily and take a multivitamin with vitamin D in it.

Before I had my diagnosis I tried glucosamine (sp) and cod liver oil I also tried a copper bracelet which only sent my wrist green!

There are a few people on here who have PsA a few are newish too like @Hairobsessed123 I can't remember everyone else, but i know they would want to help if they can.

Take care

• Nevan76
    Nevan76 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks for the information. I have taken omega oils/ Multivits / glucosamine and chondroitin tabs regularly for many years as I did a lot of sport up until this time last year. I’ve just been advised that i should consider other DMARDS in conjunction with the sufa.. a choice of methotrexate or Leflunomide 😳

Not keen on either but guess there is no other choice at this time. Thanks again for your help and support

☺️