Hi, still trying to figure out what I have

Options
Al200
Al200 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone. I've just joined and I am still in the process of trying to determine what my condition is.

I got referred to a Rheumatologist last year and got more blood tests and was promptly and silently discharged so I don't appear to have RA. I do have many issues however which is making life difficult. My feet, ankles, hands, and wrists all suffer from pain but more recently my knee and leg has become really swollen and my shoulders are just awful which makes sleep a constant challenge. I think my lack of mobility is also the reason for some of my other muscles being sore, as they are having to compensate to my movements.

I'm still not clear on whether or not having several symptoms is "normal" for OA but Fibromyalgia has been suggested (I only have a couple of tender spots though), possibly as an additional condition? This also makes it difficult when speaking with the GP as my knee or ankles often get forgotten in favour of my more serious shoulders issue. I was taken aback when asked how I get on when going for a run as I can barely walk these days.

Anyway, I really empathise with everyone suffering from Arthritis as it really is not easy to live with.

Thanks, Al

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206
    Options

Morning @Al200

Welcome to the Online Community Forum. I am pleased that you have found us.

It sounds like you have a lot going on and the Rheumatologist wasn't very helpful. Who was it that mentioned about OA AND Fibromyalgia?

I have attached some information regarding Fibromyalgia for you to have a look at.

You also might benefit from our helpline forum, the things that you forget to ask at the doctors you could maybe ask them.

Why not have a look around the rest of the forums as there might be someone else that is feeling the same as you. Looking forward to hearing from you again. I really hope you find an answer soon.

Take Care and Stay Safe

AJ_x

• Al200
    Al200 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks AJ_x.

The Rheumatologist was quick to suggest OA as I had some wear and tear showing from an Xray on my foot. I then got an Xray on my shoulder which showed some wear too. However, they were quite dismissive and blamed an old injury which I don't agree with.

My Physio was first to suggest Fibromyalgia due to the number of painful areas I have and then just recently my GP suggested it could be a form of it too. He's referring me to the support group in the area but it's likely offline for now.

I have tried various different medications and I seem to get corresponding side affects. I got into a cycle of layering a med on top of another to combat what was likely a side effect which wasn't ideal.

I've read a lot of Fibromyalgia and it's a very vague condition from what I can tell. Almost as if its the one you get pinned with if you can't be diagnosed with anything else.

I will be sure to check out the forums more as I do have plenty of questions!

Ta.