New diagnosis of Inflammatory Arthritis

Options
HelenCH
HelenCH Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi

Ive had OA in my knees, worse in right, for many years but this week have been diagnosed with seronegative inflammatory arthritis. Is this a type of RA? I feel terrible all the time, exhausted, stiff and very painful, especially feet, ankles, fingers, wrists and elbows.

Comments

• SharonH61
    SharonH61 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Good morning Helen

I too have had OA for many years and have recently been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis. My blood tests showed a raised rheumatoid factor, 19.7, CRP of 3 and ANA positive at the level of 1/400 speckled type. I too have pain and stiffness effecting many joints including toes, ankles fingers and wrists.

I am waiting for my rheumatologist to confirm what type of inflammatory arthritis I have, he mentioned RA and also gout, as my blood test showed very high urate levels, although I don’t have the traditional symptoms of gout.

I’m confused 🤔

• Hi @HelenCH,

Welcome to the online community! It's lovely to have you here.

I see you have recently received a diagnosis of seronegative inflammatory arthritis and you are suffering exhaustion, stiffness, and pain.

I hope you will find this link useful:

As to whether it is a type of RA - we are not medical professionals, so you should ask your Dr about this. However, it's my understanding that there are a few conditions that come under seronegative inflammatory arthritis, including seronegative RA, gout, spondylitis and others. It can be hard to diagnose because of the lack of rheumatoid factor and other indicators in the blood. I am aware of others who have taken a while to be diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis because of negative blood tests. Perhaps it is not clear whether your condition is RA or not? Still, useful to have this new diagnosis as it should inform your treatment. Maybe other members could weigh in with personal experiences here.

I encourage you to continue to browse the online community and join in any discussion you like. And please do let us know how you get on, it's always good to talk :)

Best wishes,

Sarah (moderator) x