Swollen knee

I have severe osteoarthritis in my right hip, diagnosed last October. I have noticed just above my right knee it sometimes swells up. It's not particularly painful, but feels heavy, if that makes sense? Almost as if it has a weight tied round it. It doesn't happen all the time and the swelling reduces with ibuprofen. I just wondered if this is referred pain? Also, my left hip/groin/knee hurts as well at times. OA in this side was only slight apparently. I walk with a stick most of the time and wondered if this is just as a result of me putting most of my weight over onto that side?


  • Hi Whiskey 26

    Thank you for posting on the forum, I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis of severe OA in your right hip.

    It is possible to have referred pain which you might feel in the groin, down the front of the leg and in the knee. This is also sometimes known as radiated pain and is fairly common.

    You say that you walk with a stick most of the time and I just wondered if it’s the right one for you and adjusted to the correct height. If you feel you would like to check this out further you may be able to self-refer to a physiotherapist, or you can ask your GP to refer you to a physiotherapist or occupational therapist for advice on what’s right for you. They can advise on the correct length and the best way to use the aid to help you stay mobile and independent.

    You may find the information on the NHS link below helpful.

    As I cannot give an answer to whether the shifting of your weight over to one side is causing the issue with your knee, I think it would be best to check this out with your GP. As a lay person it seems a reasonable thought that this is what may be causing the issue, but always best to check. 

    If you would like to talk this through please give us a ring on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am-8pm) here we can take our time to talk informally and in confidence.

    Best wishes


    Helpline Advisor