Feeling useless

Rach11
Rach11 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi all

I was diagnosed with dysplasia of both hip sockets a few years ago after suffering with pain for quite sometime. I had one hip replaced in 2018 and the other in 2020 and was told that I have osteoarthritis in both hips and knees. The hips thankfully have been pain free since the replacements but the knees are getting worse. I try to go out walking for at least an hour each day but just lately the knees have been clicking loads when I walk. What’s getting to me most at the moment is the stiffness if I sit for more than about 15mins at a time I then struggle to move about which is causing problems at work. I work in school and have to sit with the kids during lessons which are an hour each. If anyone has any tips to help with the stiffness it would be appreciated. I have an ibruprofen allergy so can’t use many of the anti inflammatory creams.

I’ll be 38 in 2 weeks and I’m seeing friends during lockdown walking and running and using these hard times to get fit and exercise and I feel totally useless😩

Comments

• ChrisK
    ChrisK Member Posts: 37
    edited 29. Mar 2021, 06:32

Good morning @Rach11

Welcome to our Versus Arthritis forum, here you will find our members are friendly, helpful and empathic. They will answer any of your questions/queries as they find them in relation to their own conditions.

You say you are walking each day and now your knees are clicking when you walk and you are having difficulty getting from sitting for more than 15mins. It must be a problem for you at school where you have to sit for 1hr at a time. Getting moving after sitting for long times can cause many problems, is it possible that you can quietly get up and move around carefully not to distract the children from what they are doing.

Versus Arthritis produces many booklets and leaflets on various types of arthritis and the related conditions. Below are links which may help you:

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee | Knee pain | Versus Arthritis

Exercises for the knees | Versus Arthritis

Versus Arthritis also do a video on exercise with Leon, which you can find on the Versus Arthritis website.

I look forward to seeing your future posts and hearing how you are getting on.

Take care, best wishes

ChrisK