Hello

Posset
Posset Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I've just been referred for knee replacement due to OA. GP can only suggest paracetamol or codeine for pain relief. Really don't want to start on codeine as it doesn't suit me. I've just started cbd oil, it was suggested for my elderly arthritic dog and it has helped her so much, so think its worth a try. Grateful for any advice as this isn't going to be fixed any time soon!

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,612

Hello @Posset

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis Online Community. I see you have Osteoarthritis in your knee and are waiting for a knee replacement.

There are other options for pain relief of course other than paracetamol or codeine I am attaching a link to some information about painkillers:

You say you have just started CBD oil this is the advice we have been given I hope it helps:

Cannabis oil (CBD)

CBD is type of cannabinoid – a natural substance extracted from the cannabis plant and often mixed with an oil (such as coconut or hemp) to create CBD oil. It does not contain the psychoactive compound called tetrahydrocannabidiol (THC) which is associated with the feeling of being ‘high’.

Research in cannabinoids over the years suggests that they can be effective in treating certain types of chronic pain such as pain from nerve injury, but there is currently not enough evidence to support using cannabinoids in reducing musculoskeletal pain. We welcome further research to better understand its impact and are intently following developments internationally.

CBD oil can be legally bought as a food supplement in the UK from heath food shops and some pharmacies. However, CBD products are not licensed as a medicine for use in arthritis by MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority) or approved by NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) or the SMC (Scottish Medicines consortium).

We know anecdotally from some people with arthritis, that CBD has reduced their symptoms. If you’re considering using CBD to manage the pain of your arthritis, it’s important to remember it cannot replace your current medicines, and it may interact with them, so please do not stop/start taking anything without speaking to a healthcare professional.

Unfortunately operations such as joint replacements are taking longer at the moment while the COVID-19 pandemic is taking up so many NHS resources so you could well be right about this not going away anytime soon.

Please do take a look around the forum and join in wherever you feel comfortable.

Best wishes

Ellen.