Nighttime cramp

Options
Northernhippy
Northernhippy Member Posts: 20
edited 12. Apr 2021, 14:00 in Living with arthritis

Hello all,

does anyone else here suffer from cramp in their feet & legs at night & is it a feature of arthritis or is something else going on? It has become a particular problem for me as every night I am woken by cramp several times. I am trying every old wives take known to man including, a magnesium supplement, eating a banana every day, an extra pillow under my knees, corks in my bed, a bar of scented soap under my bottom sheet, a crampbark tincture & a glass of tonic water. So far, the tonic water, corks & knee pillow are helping & I’ve had blood tests now, though not expecting a miracle cure from the NHS. Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Christal
    Christal Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi. How old is this post of yours? And has anything changed since you posted. I have the same problem. I sleep for some hours, then I'm woken up by the cramps. Over the years I have learned to recognise the cramp starting up before it gets severe. I've had a special bed with a solid footer to it, so can push against this, but I have to catch it before it develops (I get about a 2 seconds warning - not more). I've also had a mattress made that is shorter than the bed. This allows for my feet to dangle over the edge. I have to make sure I am far enough down in the bed so that all this works. Doctors don't seem to be able to help..... I think mine is neurological. Maybe nerves affected by the swelling of the OA? It's worse at times of year when there are more changes in the weather (Spring and Autumn). I stopped using Quinine becatheuse I have tinnitus and read that Quinine can affect the ears..... I will be seeing my Orthopaedic Consultant in a month - see if he can shed any light......

Christal