Getting a diagnosis

Options

Many years ago I was told by a podiatrist at my local hospital that I had arthritis in both feet. I had steroid injections that had no lasting effect. I was also given various insoles that seemed to make the pain worse. I then had a ganglion cyst removed from my left ankle and was told by the surgeon I had arthritis in my ankle. I was then told that nothing more could be done and I should manage my condition with painkillers.

Since lockdown I've been doing more walking but the pain has been really bad. My GP sent me for x-rays and then told me I don't have arthritis and there was nothing more he could do for me.

What should I do now?

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Hi @Debs60, welcome to the crew. GPs are a pretty mixed bunch. I can't say I'm impressed with yours! It's really not helpful to get two different diagnoses from two doctors. Might be worth asking for a second opinion from someone in the same practice who has access to the xrays.

Otherwise, in your position I'd go to see a qualified physio privately, they may be able to give treatments that might help, or a range of exercises. They may also be able to give a diagnosis if it's not bone related. Many are now seeing patients (mine is) and the charges aren't excessive. - min'es about £45 per session. You'll wait forever if you want to see an NHS physio.

• Debs60
    Debs60 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks for your help. Just a bit expensive to see a physio. I might ask for a second opinion and see where it goes from there.

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @Debs60

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

It must be very frustrating for you in that you have received conflicting advice as to whether or not you have arthritis.

I agree with Lillymary’s advice that you should seek a second opinion.

You may also find the following links to our website useful in managing your symptoms:

I hope that you are able to obtain further diagnosis and that this helps you move forward positively.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Debs60
    Debs60 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you. I'll try those.