Reality kicking in !!

Options

Hi everyone

I feel like reality is kicking in at the age of 43.

Saw the rheumatologist in November and been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis mainly in my hands.

Im a district nurse and am struggling to do the clinical side of my job. I’m restricted in my role as I’m no longer allowed to use needles as have stabbed my self a couple of times! I struggle to complete more dexterous skills and feel pretty useless as a clinical nurse!

I’ve come to the conclusion I need a different role which luckily I can find fairly easily.

I accept bad days are inevitable but they’re so often it’s becoming a real pain. On really bad days I drop everything and I know so many of you can relate.

I’ve been given exercises, take painkillers and use CBD cream. All of which help some.

The OT suggested some natural things to try such as magnesium, turmeric and others I can’t remember.

I’ll try anything to get more of my hand function back so if you can make any suggestions or drop me some advice I would be so grateful and it might cheer this fed up, down in the dumps nurse blessed with OA up.

Thanks and stay safe ❤️

Comments

• Rachie1752
    Options

Hi,

I'm 45 (just - it was my birthday a couple of weeks ago!) and I was diagnosed with arthritis in both knees about a month ago. I also think I have it in a couple of fingers.

I'm a freelance writer, but money and work dried up during the pandemic and I've been looking at other jobs but I can't stand for long or sit for long. I wouldn't employ me! It's a big thing to get your head around, isn't it. My mum has far better mobility than me!

I can't suggest anything or offer any advice because I'm at the beginning of this journey, but I have an idea of how you feel.

It's probably sensible to look for another role - stabbing yourself isn't a good risk to be taking!

Take care xXX