SHOULD I STILL TRY TO EXCERCISE WHEN MY O.A IN KNEES IS REALLY PAINFULL??

HI THIS IS THE FIRST TIME ON HERE, IVE READ ALOT OF OTHER POSTS AND FOUND THEM HELPFULL SO THOUGHT I'D GIVE IT A GO! I HAVE O.A. AND HAD BOTH HIPS REPLACED WITHIN 5 MONTHS IN 2019 WITH GRATE SUCCESS!! BUT MY KNEES ARE SOOO PAINFULL AND ITS GETTING ME DOWN.I DONT KNOW IF IM MEANT TO TRY TO IGNORE THE PAIN & KEEP GOING FOR WALKS OR NOT?? ALSO IVE SEEN ALOT OF KNEE SUPPORTS AND WONDERD IF THEY WORK OR WOULD I BE WASTING MONEY?? I'D BE SO GRATEFULL FOR SOME ADVICE PLEASE!!! MANY THANKS HELEN

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @LILLYHOLLY,

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

It’s good to hear that you’ve found some of the existing posts useful and have decide to join.

Your OA has led to you having both hips replaced but your knees continue to give you pain. You’d like some advice on what sort of exercise you should be doing and feedback from other members who have tried knee supports.

I don’t know if you’ve visited out website but I hope these links are useful:

I’m sure that you’ll receive some useful feedback.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

It would be best if an Occupational Therapist sorted out knee supports/braces as some commercially available are no good, it may be that you need specially measured/constructed braces as my sister did, hers were made in Iceland for some reason but they allow her to continue working.

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131

I think you would do well to ask for a referral to a physio who can work out an appropriate level of exercise for you that won't make things worse.

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131

• SoniaR
    SoniaR Member Posts: 26

Like you, I have severe knee pain. I bought a knee brace online but I found it uncomfortable, so I would see a Physiotherapist so you get expert advice. I did seated expertise for 3 weeks which was fine on my knees, but I developed severe pains in my shoulder blades and arms and it took me weeks of rest to get over it! I can only walk out to my garage and back, it’s just too painful to try and do more. If someone ever suggested I walk more I think I would punch them!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Arthritic pain is unlike the pain of over-exercising a healthy body. You can’t “push through the pain”, if it hurts, you’re doing too much. You may not cause more bone damage, but boy is it going to hurt, and will take a long time for the resulting inflammation to go down. If I overdo it I’m on the sofa for 3 days at least. It’s just not worth it.