sulfasalazine

Options
oneillbex
oneillbex Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi. Just saying hi and in need of a little advice.

ive been on sulfasalazine now for a week. Doing the gradule intake and I’m now on week 2 so that’s one in the morning and one in the evening.

my question is, if anyone is on this does the stomach cramps, feeling sick and the not so nice toilet habits end soon? I

i know these tablets are good and I knew the side effects but it’s really getting to me now? It says 12 weeks with this?!

thanks guys. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @oneillbex and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

You’re on a course of sulfasalazine and are experiencing some unpleasant side effects.

You’d like to hear from other forum members, who have been prescribed the same medication, as to whether or not the symptoms ease during the 12 weeks.

Whilst this article on our website doesn’t specifically answer your question, you may find it useful:

I hope that you receive some useful from forum members.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

When I was on Sulfa years ago, I was very lucky in that I didn't have those side effects. But you obviously are, so mention it asap to your Rheumy. They might give you something to help, or change to another drug. I agree that it is a good drug, so if you can find help with the side effects that would be great. I'm currently on Methotrexate and Leflunomide, which would also give you bad side effects. Sadly ALL DMARDS take at least 12 weeks to get into your system. All the best. XX

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Hairobsessed123
    Options

Awww ! I’ve just had to stop sulfasalazine Last Thursday I was just about to start my 4 th week full dose of 2 in morning and 2 in evening! I didn’t have your side affects I thought I was tolerating them really well ! I developed pain on left side of neck like my glands were swollen dr said a crick but then developed a tooth infection on right side dentist doesn’t think there connected but I’m thinking it was the sulfasalazine and i unluckily had a tooth infection same time I’m on antibiotics for the tooth my left side of neck is still tender and it’s been 9 days now ! I’m gunna talk to rhumatology nurse tomorrow and see what’s happening! I really hope your side affects subside soon x x x x