Type or arthritis I have/are symptoms similar to yours?


Hi guys

i know this isn’t a forum for medical advice but just want some advice on whether I should push further

since I was around 2 year old I’ve always cried with pains in my “legs”, specifically my knees and ankles. My parents took to me doctors and they just put it down to growing pains and had physio for it - it didn’t work.

as I’ve gotten older I’ve started with the pain in my knees, ankles as well as my wrists and sometimes my elbows.

now, the pain comes on usually when I’ve done lots of activity and comes on anytime but 8/10 times it’s at night or in the evening. I definitely get the pain the night after drinking alcohol, which is the worst I’ve ever felt it. My joints do not swell at all, however the pain is like a deep bone pain.

nothing relieves this pain, no pain relief, hot water bottle, massaging, exercising (walking on it), deep heat - nothing really. The only thing I can do is try and go to sleep and it usually passes the next morning.

i have recently visited the doctors who thinks it’s anaemia, however my iron levels are normal and I’ve been on iron tablets before but surely for 23 years it shouldn’t be like this?

when I was young, I used to cry with the pain and even now it’s so painful. My father has the same sort of pains, however he has never been diagnosed either - he is 52.

I have had spinal surgery for scoliosis if that is relevant to any of your cases.

I guess I’m just wanting to ask if this sounds like arthritis or whether it’s another condition I should be looking at?


  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

    PASS! You really need a medical diagnosis so should push your GP for it. There are so many conditions that it could be it is not worth trying to guess, once diagnosed then effective treatment can be sorted out.

  • ChrisK
    ChrisK Member Posts: 37
    edited 12. Apr 2021, 06:29

    Good morning @Rhi22x

    Welcome to our Versus Arthritis forum. You will find our members are friendly, helpful and empathic. They will answer any of your questions/queries as they find them relating to their own conditions.

    You say you have had this type of pain from early childhood, also your father has this type of pain also. Doctors are sometimes at a loss to what your pain is and can prescribe physio to see if it will help. Have you been to see your GP recently, if not it would be a good idea to make an appointment to see him. Make a diary of your pains, where it is, how much pain you have and how you feel and take it with you to show to your GP. If you have been recently to your GP and have got no useful help or tests as to whether you have arthritis or what is causing your pains, it might be an idea to get a second opinion.

    Below are links to information which might be useful for you. Versus Arthritis produce many booklets and leaflets relating to the many conditions of arthritis and its related conditions.

    Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

    Arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatment | Versus Arthritis

    I hope these are useful to you and you can also get advice and suggestions from our community. As you have said no one on this forum have any medical experience but there is a wealth of experience on here. Have a look around the forum and post on any of the pages that you find useful. I look forward to reading your future posts and to hearing how you are now coping with your conditions.

    Best wishes