bone pain

Options

I have OA in most joints, which is bad enough but am now experiencing horrible pain in my long bones. eg ulna radius and tibia. What's going on here?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

Hi @23455

Sounds very painful indeed.

I wonder about things like your vitamin D levels I am sure I read vitamin D can cause bone pain, but you'd need to see your GP to find out if that's it obviously i am not a Dr. In any case if something new was happening to me I would want to get it checked out.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon

Take care

Toni x

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

Hi 23455,

Im the same as you it’s nearly in every bone in my body, a very lovely consultant once told me bone pain is like toothache just aching all the time and wow was he right

I do agree with Toni though you should see your gp just to make sure nothing else is going on, hope you get sorted soon

take care

love Jona 😊💪

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

I've only got arthritis severely in one hip (and I suspect mild to moderate in other joints, waiting in the wings for their moment to shine 🙄) but when my hip's really bad or when I'm really tired or run down I do notice the pain spreads to pretty much everywhere. I put some of it down to referred pain when it makes my entire dodgy leg hurt.

But as you've got much more widespread arthritis, I agree it may be worth investigating this with your GP.

• Bobsies
    Bobsies Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi, I have Osteoarthritis in all my bones and like yourself I have horrendous pain in my long bone which also worries me. I am waiting for full knee replacement, my left knee does not exist and now its all swollen etc and my right hip has totally gone as well, but because I am under 60, my surgeon has put it off and off and off and leaving me which means I am getting worse. My walking is horrendous, I am on a lot of morphine and orimorph but I am still in so much pain, I cry silent tears its that bad. My surgeon wants me to have weightloss surgery so because he has requested it and my BMI is quite high I was passed over to Dieticians and then because I am so bad I got referred to Aintree Hospital where Cumbria and Lancashire PCT use this hospital for weightloss surgery. I am now on their pathway ,I have got one more telephone conversation with the weightloss team and then they refer me over to the Operation Team and get me ready for surgery. I could write a book. I use a motability scooter to go round supermarkets with my other half, I call it Moon Buggy 1 lol. Well that is a little about me but I cannot wait to get my replacements done and get out of being in pain 24/7

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

@Bobsies

Good to meet you!

I am very very impressed by your story with added weight loss surgery to help reduce your pain and enable you to have joint replacement surgery too. Well done keep it up and do let us know how you get on - maybe you should write that book!

Take care

• lesgray57
    lesgray57 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi ,I have is in most of my joints which at the moment is bearable,but I have one hip that is quite severe and bad lower back pain . Somebody recommended that I went to a chiropractor!.I was a bit sceptical but I am amazed at the improvement that it has brought me .He also highly recommended that I took Magnesium and pure cod liver oil.I can safely say I think that both are really helping .Hope that this helps others

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @lesgray57 welcome to the Online Community, great to have you here.

Chiropractors can be very helpful for certain arthritis conditions but would only go to one if recommended by a doctor. There is further information on our website about Manipulative therapies:

Rather than take supplements, we recommend a good balanced diet to help manage the condition. The NHS has a really informative detailed section on vitamins and minerals that is worth a look:

Do join in across the community, ask questions, give adviec or call in to say how you are getting on.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• ArtiOSTEfy
    Options

Hi, I'm new to the group and my name is Sharon.

Bobsies, l have also got OA in all my joints and like you was diagnosed at a fairly young age. At 52 I was having severe pain in my left hip and to complicate matters even more I was diagnosed with FM (FYBROMYALGIA) at the age of 40. I ended up on crutches as it became more difficult to walk.

After a few GP'S and lots steroid injections and tears, I asked yet another new GP through more tears to think outside the box for me as I can't take anti- inflammatory meds as I'm allergic to Asprin and Codine....he did and sent me to see a rheumatologist who then decided that I had 3 options : 1) I could stay as I was ( not an option), 2)carry on having steroid injections ( not happy), 3) Surgery ( that's the one). I was fully expecting to have a row having opted for number 3 as I was only 58 at the time. I was absolutely flabbergasted at his next comment as he asked if I wanted both done,but as my right hip was only moderate I declined the offer and only had the left hip done at 59 years old.

I know they don't like for you to have it done before your 60 because they only last for about 20 yrs but if you are in severe pain with your hip push for surgery and they will do it.

Sharon

• ChrisK
    ChrisK Member Posts: 37
    edited 19. Apr 2021, 07:44
    Options

Good morning @ArtiOSTEfy

Welcome to our Versus Arthritis forum. Here you will find our members are helpful, friendly and empathic. They will answer your questions/queries as they have found them in relation to their own condition.

Thank you for replying to the post by @Bobsies which will answer some of her questions/queries, also will answer some of the questions of @lesgray57 and @23455 .

On here there is some information above that may be useful to you. Versus Arthritis produce many booklets and fact sheets on arthritis and related conditions. Below is a link to one of these that may be helpful as well.

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee | Knee pain | Versus Arthritis

There is many different subjects on the various queries and questions of arthritis which you find interesting. There is also several sections that provide light relief and what many users post to. Among them are Val's Cafe and Levity.

I look forward to reading your future posts and to hearing how you are getting on. Take care.

Best wishes

ChrisK