Psoriatic Arthritis Diagnosis and heat flushes

Options
Susanjj
Susanjj Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I'm not too sure how this site works yet. I'm looking for some advice. I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis a couple of years ago and have found it hard to understand the condition fully even after reading all the leaflets etc. I have pain in my hands, elbows, shoulders, hips and feet and have been on Methotrexate and sulfasalazine for a while now. I am struggling with lockdown, like everyone is and have has steriod injections in my shoulders and hands over the last three months to try to relieve some of the pain. I have signed up here to the 12 week exercise class which I am about to begin and I walk twice daily with my dog (25 - 40 minutes each time). My toes, one in from the smallest have little or no feeling in them and I am experiencing terrible heat flushes regularly, day and night. I have been having these for two or three years now. I really think there may be other things going on here! No one seems to consider that once you have a diagnosis for a disease, it's like you are only allowed one! Has anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hi @Susanjj and welcome to the online community,

You’ve had psoriatic arthritis for several years and you find it hard to understand your condition. You’re also experiencing other symptoms that you’re not sure are linked to PSA.

Members of this community, (of which you are now one! ) all live with some form of arthritis and are very happy to share their experiences with other members. You’ll find everyone friendly and helpful and although not everyone’s experience is the same, there are always similarities, so reading through other people’s posts will often uncover helpful tips and suggestions. It also helps you feel that you’re not alone.

Youve probably done quite a bit of research about your condition, but you might be interested to read the Versus Arthritis page on psoriatic arthritis which has some useful information about symptoms, treatment as well as managing your condition and looking after your emotional well-being:

You say that you’re not sure how this forum works - you’ve posted a post so you’re doing pretty well! All the forums are on the right hand side of the page so you could have a browse through and see the different topics that people post about. Feel free to join in whenever you feel comfortable.

Best wishes,

Anna ( mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Oh yes once you've got label!

Sometimes we have to be quite firm with our Drs to get help unfortunately.

First of all there are some medications which can give us 'hot flushes' so it's worth reading the leaflets which come with your meds. I am reasonably sure steroids (prednisone ) does for instance because my daughter had them when she was on that for cancer.

Also (sorry if i am completely out here too) could it even be the start of the menopause? The perimenopause starts up to 10 years before the actual menopause.

Take care @Susanjj

• Hairobsessed123
    Options

I was just about to say the same @frogmorton !

I had hot flushes sleepless nights ect ontop of my pain .so within a year I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and I’m on Hrt patches lol I’m nearly 45 .

so hopefully that maybe something you can ask gp about @Susanjj xxx

• frogmorton
    Options

Well you certainly do not look old enough @Hairobsessed123 !

Hope the patches are helping 🙂

• Hairobsessed123
    Options

Awww Thankyou ! @frogmorton lots of people say I don’t look my age ! Hrt have helped a lot !! I feel old thou aching all the time 🤣🤣🤣

• Maude
    Maude Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Susanjj,

I thought for several years that the horrible hot flushes and sweats were a side effect of all the medications I take for my Psoriatic arthritis.

I am now prescribed HRT patches and they have all gone away........

I was concentrating so hard on trying to sort out my arthritis I forgot I was also menopausal 😂

Good luck.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Maude and welcome to the Online Community, lovely to have you join us.

Great to hear that HRT patches were able to relieve the hot flushes and that it wasn't being caused by side effects of medication.

Do join in across the Community, ask questions, give support or call in for a chat to say how you are getting on.

All best wishes

Brynmor.

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Hi from me too,

I would think, that if your medications aren't on top of your pain then they need altering to give you a better outcome. If you have a rheumatology nurse I would ring them and explain about both the ?over the flushes and the need for better pain control.

Then get hold of your GP, I had a blood test and was told it would show up via hormones in the blood.

Let us know how you get on

xx

• Susanjj
    Susanjj Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks everyone. Im seven years in to menopause. I just thought the flushing would have gone by now.

• frogmorton
    Options

Nope @Susanjj I still have them and they've been 10 years so far although they are way way better.

Best of luck

Toni x