OA in knees and finger :-(

Options
Rachie1752
Rachie1752 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

I contacted the GP about a month ago about problems with my knees. I was really struggling with walking and getting up and sitting down. I had a fair bit of pain but the biggest problem was that my knees would just refuse to do things. They would stick in one position and not straighten and were very stiff and looked enormous and deformed. I've always been a bit double jointed and suspected the Dr would say that I needed to do some exercises or walk differently, but it would get better. I did an online doctor survey as part of booking an appointment and it suggested I had OA.

I had a week until my appointment and read up about OA and it seemed very likely. The doctor sent me for an x-ray which confirmed that I had moderate OA in both knees with bony spurs.

It has all been a bit of a shock and I switch between accepting my new life and resenting it. I am on the waiting list for the physio and the GP felt that my questions about exercise would be better asked to them.

On my first appointment, she said I should be doing non-weight bearing exercise, then when she phoned with the results of the x-ray she said that it was important that I keep walking.

A year ago I danced most nights (social dancing - like Ceroc) and walked everywhere. Walking was my main method of transport.

I am not sure what I should be doing, but with the lockdown and a problem with anaemia before and during the lockdowns, my weight has ballooned. I know that is not going to help but I don't know how to safely lose it. In the absence of professional advice, I have been walking as far as I can but breaking it up with resting on benches etc. or making fewer shorter walks per day.

Dancing starts back in June but I don't think I can do much. For women, the dancing involves a lot of turning and spinning and I can't do that. Oddly, it's the walking that is the most important to me.

I'm 45 and my mobility is similar to someone much older. It seems unfair, but then it could be so much worse. Other people have these issues at half my age.

I've started the Movement With Leon videos (on week 2) and I switch between resenting them (I should be able to do 'normal' exercise videos) and finding some bit challenging/helpful. Some of the first week's movements I have been doing during the week - so it must be helping!

Sorry for whining on - I don't feel I can say this to people I know. I like to be positive to them!

Hope you're all doing as well as you can!

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 794
    edited 16. Apr 2021, 15:05
    Options

Hi @Rachie1752

Welcome to our online community, great you have found us and want to tell us about your journey with Arthritis,we all have a story to tell. I too have OsteoArthritis and i still remember when i was diagnosed and feeling a bit resentful, i was a nurse and it really made it difficult for me to carry on just like you,that was a few years back i now have two replacment knees Left and Right and right Hip replacement,never regretted having the ops as they have helped me to have a life how beit different form before Arthritis.

Here are a few links that may help you.

Osteoarthritis (OA) | Causes, symptoms, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

You have already met Leon i would encourage you to keep doing those exercises as it will help.

Please let us know how you get on and chat to others on the forum it helps if you do.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

Hi Rachie1752:

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees in 2013, I trained up to do phlebotomy in 2016 2 months later I was told I had it in both hands and wrists so had to give up the job I loved and move to a desk job then last year I was told I had it in my spine and cervical spondylosis with oseophytes very very painful I kept walking and doing what I could I had to drop my hours at work went down like a lead balloon though my instincts told me there was something else and I too suffer from anaemia makes you very tired as you know as does coping with pain.

Ive now been diagnosed with a rare skin disease sorry to sound like I’m moaning but that’s what we do here we share not moan so please carry on sharing it does help but try not to keep it from your friends and my dad used to say use it or lose it so do as much as your pain allows I do and rest when you feel like you need to, be kinder to yourself too as I’ve found a lot of people aren’t kind anymore I get people huffing and puffing when I don’t move as quickly as they do but so what they will get older too

Anyhoo keep sharing and talking we’re all in the same boat

take care

love Jona 😊💪

• Rachie1752
    Options

Thank you for the welcome, guys!

It seems like this is a condition we have to adapt to and that takes a bit of time. At least the weather is good - I seem to be more mobile in the better weather.

Take care xx