Had my first appointment to see the consultant yesterday, had waited 39 weeks for this, so I'm feeling rather down in the dumps to be told I have possibly a year or two to wait for surgery! The pain is relentless, was told to manage the pain, not exercise as it would make it worst, and given some crutches. I am looking to see if I should pay for private treatment, is private surgery advised? I am 56, profoundly deaf (wear hearing aids) I'm not even sure if I heard the consultant correctly, as his face mask kept slipping to prevent me from lipreading properly. The whole appointment was very rushed.