Upcoming pain clinic appointment

Lcc86
Lcc86 Member Posts: 30
edited 3. May 2021, 13:59 in Living with arthritis

I have an appointment in a couple of weeks with the pain clinic and am looking for some advice. Some background:

Diagnosed by pain clinic with facet joint syndrome in November 2020 after 3 years of back pain.

Had radiofrequency nerve ablation in January 2021 in L3, L4, L5 joints. Worked for approx 5 weeks but now pain is back and pretty much as bad as it was before.

Am now on codeine 30mg as needed (try to only take at night).

I do daily physio already and have regular appointments, I've done CBT, pain management programme, and I try to stay active daily despite the pain. What can I realistically expect from the pain clinic? My lower back is so stiff all the time, particularly in the morning, and I can't seem to rid myself of the general stiffness. I don't know if this is something the pain clinic can help address?

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I have Degenerative Facet Joint Disease, widespread OA, a couple of compressed discs and a detached disc in my neck. I too have had two attempts of nerve ablation that only worked for a few weeks. My experience of the Pain clinic is that they tried many treatments and gradually tried different drugs until ending up with Morphine. As a final attempt to resolve my pain issues they referred me to a Neurosurgeon some 12 years ago who refused to operate as the risk of paralysis was too great and I was discharged from the clinic over 10 years ago with the words "there is nothing more we can do for you" ringing in my ears. Since then I have declined and now use a wheelchair and remain in constant pain despite Morphine which only knocks the edge off. All I can suggest is to try any treatment that they offer in the hope that something will work for you, good luck.

• Lcc86

Hi Mike1, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience, it must be really difficult for you. I am definitely open to trying whatever is suggested, I have tried to be as proactive as possible in this entire situation (the only thing I won't try again is acupuncture as I found it so painful afterwards lol).

I had the ablation done privately due to Covid, and at the clinic I chose I felt a bit like I was shoved out the door straight afterwards so part of me wonders if it was done properly. Maybe my mind is just being overactive, there was no guarantee that it would work which I was fully aware of anyway. I responded really well to the initial investigatory procedure that I thought I'd have a bit more success but hey ho.

Can I ask the pain clinic about muscle relaxers? My back gets so stiff during the night that I wonder whether trialling these might help? But I don't know what the potential downsides might be.

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131

I found the pain clinic helpful. They ran through how to get maximum benefit from the pain killers I could have. main take home message was don't allow pain to get to full peak before reaching for pain killers as its harder to bring pain down then to nip it off before built up.

I would write down all your questions so you can literally hand them the list- its much better then realising afterwards you meant to ask something and forgot or got flustered.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 4. May 2021, 21:00

@sunnyside2 Didn’t know that about nipping pain in the bud. That’s useful to know. Very counter intuitive when trying not to over-medicate. One of the nurses after my THR op did say a big part of the recovery is managing the pain. There was me, toughing it out, but after that I was happy to take all drugs offered and ask for more when needed, and life became much more bearable. However, as a lot of dead rock stars would attest (in the afterlife), don’t overdo it.

• Lcc86
    edited 5. May 2021, 18:17

Thank you both. My previous appointments were mainly talking about about trying procedures so I wasn't sure how deep they go with medication so this is good to know. I'll get a list of questions together. I am definitely guilty of toughing it out, I don't like taking painkillers during the day for some reason as in my head I don't want to rely on them but sometimes it's to my own detriment!

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

A list of questions is always essential. Is there someone who can go with you as an extra pair of ears so you don't miss something relevant. I now show the list to the doctor at the start so they can adjust what they were saying if necessary to fit my answers in. As yours is a first appointment with the pain clinic it might be longer than usual though.

If you like we can join you virtually to offer support and strength - it's called 'pocket duties'!

Take care

Yvonne x

• Lcc86
    edited 6. May 2021, 17:06

Thanks Yvonne, it's a telephone appointment so I should be fine, I will have my list ready. I've spoken to the consultant before in person so he does know me, this is a follow up following my "failed" radiofrequency ablation. I'll update afterwards and hopefully have something positive to say! Always weird trying to get to grips with different services and working out what they do and don't do.