Newbie so saying hi

Options
Kayleigh_h
Kayleigh_h Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi I’m Kayleigh I’m 35 and just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right knee. I live with my boyfriend and 3 year old Staffie cross.

I love walking but find it really disheartening when I have what I call a bad knee day when it flares up and I can’t walk.

my gp advised me to join this website so I can get advise from others and chat to people.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 7. May 2021, 18:11
    Options

Hi @Kayleigh_h

Welcome to the online community,great to see you posting and telling us your arthritis story.You say that you have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in your right knee,also you love walking but find it disheartening when you have flare up days from the pain in your knee.

Here are a few links that may help you .

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee | Knee pain | Versus Arthritis

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Hope these links help you,meanwhile just go on our forums to chat to caring and friendly people everyone has a form of arthritis so know where you are coming from,i too have osteoarthritis and find talking to others a great help.

Please keep in touch to tell us how you get on.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Kayleigh_h
    Options

Thank you so much Christine I’m do glad I joined it means I can talk to more than just my grandparents about pain etc.

• Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Member Posts: 25
    Options

I'm just about to turn 35, have Psoriatic Arthritis that gives me foot pain and sometimes walking hurts. It's a journey of learning inordinate amouts of self kindness. Your knee deserves all the love and care! 😊 Sometimes that means resting and maybe doing other great things apart from walking. So many things you can do on such days! Make a list!

• Kayleigh_h
    Options

I will do, I know loosing weight will help but it makes me feel down when I can’t do the exercise on a bad day

• Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Member Posts: 25
    Options

Yep, I've got 20+ years with an eating disorder, it takes a flexible mind to balance all this. But just it's all about self kindness!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Hi @Kayleigh_h , sorry to hear this has hit you so young. I’m a very active 61, but when OA finally finished off my hip last year, I had no hesitation in using a stick so that I could carry on doing the things I needed (or wanted) to do. It’s annoying to have to do so, but **** it, I wanted to get on with my life. It also reduces the wear on the joint. But you may need to moderate your activities a bit to avoid inflaming the joint too much - the worse you let it get, the longer it takes to recover. I’d suggest giving up high impact sports like running, and taking up swimming, walking or possibly cycling instead.