OA of lumbar spine

Options

I have OA at lower spine with 2 protruding discs, at 3/4 level. I had a discussion with my Consultant last week and he asked me to consider decompression surgery. He was very reassuring about the surgery but I am 70 and do worry about the recovery time. However, I do think if it will make me more mobile it might be worth it. Anyone been through anything similar. Thank you.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    edited 7. May 2021, 18:28
    Options

Hello @florida

A big welcome to the online community,lovely to see you talking about your personal journey with arthritis.

just to reiterate you have OA at the lower spine with 2 protuding discs at 3/4 level.Your consultant has recommended decompression surgery and vert reassuring about the outcome,i think we all worry once we have been through an operation of the recovery time i did but in the end i excepted the inconvenience of recovery and thought about the end results. I have never regreted it as after 2 knee surgerys and a hip replaced my movement is so much better and therefore my life.

I have never had decompression surgery but some one on the forums might have and will give you sound advice,everyone understands what you are going through as everyone has some form of arthritis.

Maybe this link may help you in some way

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Meanwhile just go to the forum and join in the chat,it often helps to like minded people.

All the best and please keep in touch and tell us how you get on. Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• florida
    florida Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you very much for your reply. I look at this site often and find it very useful. It is comforting to know I am not alone, although sad for those who are also dealing with this horrible pain. I will definitely continue to view and maybe someone will have had the surgery that has been recommended to me and give me a little insight. Thanks again.