Hello everyone

Options
Davy
Davy Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, diagnosed with RA in 2016 and also Fibromyalgia a year later.

I ended up getting ill health retirement, as I found it too difficult to work and currently, I take each day as it comes.

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211
    Options

Hi @Davy firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have been suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia and that this has forced ill health retirement. I hope that you are coping with the conditions and being out of work.

It would be good to know if there is any specific element of your arthritis you want help with and we will do our best to signpost you in the right direction.

The site is full of information and I wanted to signpost you to some information leaflets that could help, linked to as a starter general information on RA and Fibromyalgia. We also have information around managing your condition and work that could be explored.

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help.

Take care and I hope you get some relief soon.

Thanks

Joe

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

Hi Davy,

Welcome to the site theses guys saved my sanity so you’ve come to the right place, I’ve tried to keep in work and would have too if I hadn’t just been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder just recently which took the wind out of my sails a bit knocked me sideways no one believed me so instead of feeling smug because i told them so I’m rather in shock.

Ive applied for my ill health retirement and just at the beginning but I’ve realised that my health must come first as I’m sure you have I have heard on the grapevine they would rather I stay years of experience but it could be up to2 years not had my biopsy yet but they are expediting the referral

you don’t say how old you are but I’m 62 now and we can always get some other kind of work but at the mo I’m embracing every day as it comes usually with plenty of drama though some days I knock it out the park but others I just manage to get out of bed

take care

love Jona 😊💪

• Northernhippy
    Options

I took early retirement on the grounds of permanent ill health from my paid job 3 years ago now, luckily I had worked in local government for near 30 years, so had a decent pension to go with my PIP. I kept my sanity as I lived on my Smallholding & was at one with nature. Sadly, last year the Council stuffed me in a bungalow, for which I should be grateful as my health has continued to deteriorate, to the extent that if I’d spent last winter in the cabin, I’d be dead by now. Now I’ve had to make the decision to give up the holding & try to reinvent myself as something other than a useless cripple - not been an easy decision & I’m struggling to get my head round it. One day at a time eh?

• Shaphron
    Shaphron Member Posts: 74
    Options

Wow @Northernhippy - the small holding sounds lovely. I've always wanted to live in one and be a little independant that way. I'm really sorry you had to give it up. I'm sure you are in no way useless, just you now have alternate uses which you have to find. It's so difficult when you have to change everything and try to re-invent yourself and find what works now, when you thought you had it worked out.

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

• Jona
    Options

I always said if I won the lottery I’d buy a small holding with a pond for the ducks a horse but the pain clinic said not to ever ride again oh and westies lots of them, grow my own food and roaring fire to sit by then I woke up it would be amazing though

we are never useless just useful, experience and sharing are very useful

love Jona 😊💪

• Davy
    Davy Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi again all. Had forgot to mention that I'm 64 and I qualified for ill health retirement, but it took a long time, as my employers were hell bent in having me back at work. My government pension is not a lot of money, but I get by. I also regret not being able to go out working again.

One point of anxiety in my life, at the moment, is waiting to find out if I'm awarded Pip, especially after the stringent telephone assessment I had recently.

Nice to meet you all.

• Jona
    Options

Hi Davy,

Nice to meet you too, I know what you mean about it taking a long time and employers would rather you return to work well some do it’s like everything in life good and bad Ying and yang

As for pip oh my goodness you feel like you’ve been interrogated it’s exhausting I applied several years ago ended up going to appeal and was totally humiliated didn’t have any support though but I couldn’t go through that again the arthritis and biopsy has just about taken all my confidence if I claim again it will be with legal representation

Have you thought about volunteering with something you like to do maybe a mentor in some way worth a thought anyway I tend to rattle on you take care and keep your chin up stay strong

love Jona 😊

• Mackange
    Mackange Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi Davy,

This is all new to me as it started about 6 months ago and I ignored it until my knee buckled when I was coming downstairs and I nearly fell.

I have osteoarthritis in the knee and was wondering if I should apply for benefits like esa and pip as I can't work as a cleaner anymore.

Sounds like a challenging, to say the least, experience from what you and Jona have said!!

Every one is right, you are not useless at all, we can all offer something within our capabilities.

Love Mackange

• Jona
    Options

Hi Mackange,

I have it in both knees and am always falling and it’s terrifying I must live on a different planet as I’m told go see my gp haha they don’t seem to be bothered either I really could write a book on how I’ve been failed over and over again

You actually become aware though and take things slowly I guess thats what they mean as you get older you start to slow down

take care

love Jona 😊💪

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term physical or mental health condition or disability. The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. You’ll be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get. https://www.gov.uk/pip You also get assessed when applying for ESA. Have a chat with someone at the CAB as they have experience in applying for benefits for those who are disabled.

• Shaphron
    Shaphron Member Posts: 74
    Options

You can also request that your PIP assessment is recorded - you have to specifically request this, they will not volunteer. But it can help you, especially with the appeal process. You can also check on what the criteria are for each of the PIP questions and make sure you know what boxes you need to tick to get a reward. You mental health can affect your ability as much as your physical health. PIP is a pai nto get as they seem to be absolutely against anyone receiving it, it seems very hostile to even attempt it, but it can be well worth it if you have the energy to go for it.

Some helpful sites on PIP are: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system and https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/what-are-the-pip-descriptors/

If in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

• Jona
    Options

Applying for pip is an absolute nightmare your guilty of lying until proven innocent definitely get some advice from CAB your awarded on a points system on how your conditions stops you living a life and doing anything it’s not pleasant and yes make sure you tape the assessment but need permission first as it’s done in a way to trip you up it’s definitely something you need support on