Back spasm.

Options

Hello, I had my first back spasm yesterday, I have a crumbling lumber which I'm hoping to get an operation on and I'm waiting for a new left knee and a new right hip. They weren't very nice at the A n E, and after giving me morphine and diazepam, which had no effect with the pain, (I do see why they gave me diazepam though) and a packet of codeine to take home, they turfed me out. I went to my bed with my electric blanket, some sleeping pills and ibuprofen gel. Today I woke with a very small pain in the area, and went to do my exercises in the swimming pool, which I do every day. Do you think I'm to expect more of these? Should I see the physio or doctor or what should I do please?

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Cassidy1 welcome to the Online Community.

As alarming and painful as a back spasm can be, A&E will probably not be the best place for treatment except as a source of urgent pain relief drugs such as the morphine and diazepam you were prescribed. Back pain is tremendously disabling when in spasm and I ended up for nearly a week being unable to hardly move. I called it the week "when socks were a memory and the dugs don't work" 😄

Unlike you, I don't have a crumbling lumber, just permanent back pain on a scale of "nasty ache" to "not moving much from my bed today". The best thing for me is to continue gentle exercise and using some of the suggestions for managing my symptoms that can be found on the Back Pain page of our web site: https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/back-pain/

There's also some really good tips on Pain Management that you might like to take a look at here:

Do let us know how you get on and what turns out to be most effective for you.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Cassidy1
    Cassidy1 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello Brynmor, thank you very much for replying with such friendly positive words. Just t hear someone else talk about it is calming. I look forward to learning about back pain and pain management from your helpful sites. Here's hoping your pain eases for you. Charis.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    edited 16. May 2021, 05:50
    Options

Hi @Cassidy1

My back does the spasming malarkey sometimes not too often these days after my surgery. The diazepam is good trust them it relaxes your muscles which are what has gone into spasm to try to protect the 'hurt' bit of your back. The spasm is agony total agony I know.

When my husband pulled his and it went into spasm he was convinced he had broken his back! Bless him. TLC and reassurance from me calmed him down as did the fact that most back spasms go off at least a bit within 3 days.

Take care and do come along in to the forum and meet us all we are a friendly collection of people.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Cassidy1

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear how much pain you have been in and that A&E were not very nice. I see that Brynmoor has sent you a comprehensive response and signposted you to our information on managing back pain which has lots of suggestions about managing back pain which I hope is helpful to you.

It may well be helpful to see your GP about as they may be able to prescribe further muscle relaxants for painful muscle spasms. You can also ask the GP for a referral to a physiotherapist for tailored advice on exercise. Physiotherapy can be useful to improve strength and flexibility. Exercise is one of the most effective treatments for back pain and a physio can help oversee your exercise programme and recommend specific exercises to help.

If your back pain is causing problems with daily activities such as dressing, washing and driving you may find it useful to see an occupational therapy. They may suggest different ways of doing things to reduce the strain or recommend aids or gadgets that will help you.

I would like to encourage you to call us here on the helpline where you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. You can call us on number on 0800 5200 520 (Monday – Friday, 9am – 8pm).

I hope this information is helpful.

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor