Blood results

Can anyone help reassure me about my blood results?

I was diagnosed with RA in Jan 2020, upon diagnosis my CRP was 1.1 so very normal. I’ve had monthly blood tests ever since and my CRP has been between 0.3 and 0.8 but my blood test last week shows CRP 2.2. Nobody seems concerned because it’s below 5 but it’s double the level it was at diagnosis and seems high for my normal. I’m not sure if I should be pushing more?

I also seem to have low lymphocyte count but I’m not really sure what that means. At diagnosis it was 1.89 but last week was 0.93.

I’m not having a flare at the moment and my joints are doing ok but my stomach is uncomfortable. I have a review with my GP but not for a couple of weeks.

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Hello @Number109 and welcome to our community, we are a friendly and supportive group and I hope you will find that too.

I see you have been diagnosed with RA and that you are concerned about blood results. Your blood results are something that you need to see your GP about, but if you are concerned then I would suggest you see about bringing your appointment forward. Blood test results do vary by person and also depending on many other factors

Our website contains a lot of useful information and I have posted a couple of links below to articles that you might find of interest but do have a look around yourself and I would suggest using the search function as well

Please do keep posting and I am sure others will contact you as well, but your GP is likely the best place to go to put your mind at ease.

With very best wishes

Peter (mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

I'm not a medic but can only recount my experiences. I've been admitted to hospital on 3 occasions in the last 6 months when I've taken severe chest infections/pneumonia which caused severe issues with my psoriatic arthritis. This meant the medics couldn't work out whether the infection from the pneumonia or the inflammation from the PsA was causing the CRP levels to spike. I was told by a consultant the normal CRP levels should be 'between 2 and 3 and certainly single figures'. Mine when first admitted was 170 and reached 340 during my hospitalisation. I was discharged with a CRP level of 127 as it was on a downward trajectory. I get 2 weekly blood tests as I've been on 20mg Methotrexate since early April and my GP was happy with my last test 2 weeks ago CRP level of 19.

• Tish87
    Tish87 Member Posts: 25

Ive just had my bloods done and checked what they were the last time I was in 6 weeks ago and the ESR was 46 and the CRP was 23 but these are coming down from ESR spikes of 120 and CRP spike 86 at Xmas time. I’m going through a massive flare since having a baby 16 months ago and they have me on 25mg of methotrexate and oral steroids but are now moving to biologics as it’s still not under control.

when will ur bloods be repeated again? Just be on the look out for a flare and seek advice/treatment as soon as it happens to limit the damage!