Methotrexate

Options

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last year just before first lock down. I'm really struggling had my methotrexate up to 20mg from 15mg but I'm so tired feel very depressed can't see any improvement at all.

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Hello, @Mollydolly and welcome to the forum.

I see that you were diagnosed with RA just before the lockdown and are now sadly struggling with no discernible improvement and a bad attack of the "methotrexate blues".

Here are some links to information from our website:

I urge you to discuss the options with your rheumatologist. Treatment can take time to have an effect, and there are other drugs that can be used if you have a bad reaction to one. Don't overlook the possibility that the isolation of the lockdowns can effect your mood, just like a bad attack of the "winter blues". I was referred to a counselling service by my GP and found it a great help.

Keep chatting on the forum - there are many out there who can give you help information and support.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Mollydolly

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I’m sorry you aren’t seeing any improvement from the methotrexate and that you are feeling so tired and low. Receiving the diagnosis of RA just before the first lock-down must have been particularly tough.  

It sounds like you are due a medication review. Like Tom, I urge you to speak to your rheumatologist. As he says, there are other drugs that can be tried if you have side-effects or a drug is not bringing your condition under control.   

I would strongly advise you to give us a call on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 before you next speak to your rheumatology team.  We can talk the options through with you, so that you feel fully informed and can make the most of your next appointment.

I hope you have found the links Tom sent helpful and that you will also follow his advice to talk to your GP about your low mood and chat to others on the forum. It’s difficult to reach out in this way when you feel down and in pain, but it’s so important and you’ve taken the first step. We’re all here to support you through this Molly.  

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team

• Emma126
    Emma126 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi Mollydolly,

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time. I was diagnosed in July of last year. I'm about to put my methotrexate up to 20mg too having not seen improvement with 15. (Well I thought I was seeing improvement but it turns out that was just the steroid injection!)

How long ago did you put up your dose?

Did you get to actually see your consultant or just phone calls?

Best wishes,

Emma.

• Marina16
    Marina16 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Methotrexate is help or not?