Combination therapy

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis last August at first I was prescribed 15mg of Methotrexate and Hydroxycloroquine and then after three months the Consultant increased the dosage of Methotrexate to 25mg and now he is recommending combination therapy which includes Sulfasalazine with Methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine, I’m concerned about taking all these tablets which will probably increase the side affect. I would love to hear from anyone that is on a combination therapy medication

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I've never taken sulf, a very tried-and-tested starting DMARD, triple therapy is by no means uncommon and I don't think it's any more likely to cause side effects than each on its own. I've been on meth and hydroxy for over twenty years and they do a great job for me. People do worry, understandably, about side effects but they are only potential. The effects of the uncontrolled disease are actual and life-changing. My advice would be to go for it. You will probably have yellow wee 😀 but it's surely a small price to pay.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    edited 24. May 2021, 14:42

Hi @Sussiejan and welcome to the Online Community. Lovely to have you here.

The Versus Arthritis web site has information on each of these drugs that you may like to take a look at:

I'm not sure that taking these in combination increases the severity of side effects as this would be a reason not to offer them in a combination therapy. Do let us know how it all works out.

Any members who are taking these drugs in combination, please do say how the treatment is going.