Polymyalgia Rheumatica newly diagnosed

Hi Im a fit 56yr old male and just got diagnosed. GP put me on inflamatories first then 20mg steroids. Pain still still v bad in shoulders and hips so eventually sent to hospital for tests for 3 days. On high dose in hospital so felt quite good. On 40mg steroids now since sat 15th May 2021. Feel better than i was but way off my normal. Tried walking today in field beside me and it took me 9minutes to walk 300m. Thats one week into my treatment. I thought it would be getting much better by now. Anyone with similiar experiences?

Regards, Harry

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi @Harryog

Welcome to the Online Community, it's great to have you here.

Polymyalgia rheumatica is often diagnosed by your GP and they usually start on steroids. Here is our information on this condition

It sounds like you have had tests to rule out other arthritis conditions and you have only been taking the steroids for a short time so far. Hopefully you will continue to see improvement over time, if not do let your GP know, have you got an appointment to review your condition?

Please do look around the community and post anywhere you feel comfortable

Take care

Yvonne

• Hi @Harryog

Thanks for posting on the helpline forum following your recent diagnosis of PMR. I’m sorry you have been in so much pain, but pleased you are feeling a little better since you started on the high dose steroids a week ago. It must be very frustrating for you to have taken so long to work that distance when you are used to being fit and active.

Thank you to Yvonne for posting the link to our PMR information. I hope you have found it useful.  The symptoms of PMR usually improve significantly within two weeks once steroid treatment. They may almost disappear after four weeks of steroid treatment, but treatment usually needs to continue for up to two years, or occasionally longer, to stop the symptoms returning.

It’s worth remembering that you’ll need to find the right balance between rest and activity, Harry. Activity usually helps to ease pain and stiffness in the muscles of the shoulders, hips and thighs, but too much exercise is likely to make your symptoms worse.

You may get a response from others with experiences of PMR, if you also post your question on the Living with Arthritis forum.  

As Yvonne suggests, do review the situation with your GP and / or medical team if you have any concerns about your symptoms or treatment.  

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team

• Harryog
    Harryog Member Posts: 3

Thanks Mags. Yea things really picked up after that. Stiffness disappeared completely and i was back to myself running cycling swimming even played a few games of Gaelic football. Since 22nd july unfortunately the stiffness began to return. I got a public appointment with a rhumatoligist on 23rd September so I'll see what she says. Thanks for feedback and information. Regards Harry

• GrannyJ
    GrannyJ Member Posts: 2

I'd just like to reassure you that you will feel better long term.

I have both rheumatoid arthritis and fibre myalgia......since 2016. What helps me is a natural Diet ,.I make everything from scratch ... to avoid colourings , preservatives , sugar and the unknown.

One ingredient foods, eg cabbage, eggs, meat etc. Stress aggrevates both my conditions,, I cannot reduce my stress because I work in a secure psyche Ward but I can balance/prioritise my fun activities to lessen my reaction to stress.

This is hard to constantly prioritise but enables me to experience less pain and I hope it might help you.

Take care.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @GrannyJ welcome to the Online Community, good to have you here.

I understand that you have both rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia and have experienced some good success in managing your condition by focussing on diet.

We have a great web site with useful information on eating well with arthritis that may be useful to look through:

Do join in across the Community, ask questions, post helpful advice and call in for a chat to say how you are getting on. You will be most welcome

Best wishes

Brynmor