Newly diagnosed-Methotrexate

Hi.

I have just taken my first dose of methotrexate, I am a bit nervous about everything at the moment.

Have been reading about sun sensitivity and taking methotrexate and am scared to go out in the sun!

We are having a few days away (uk) at the end of the week and feeling anxious. I am aware of covering up, using lotion,hats,sunglasses etc but will that be enough!?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @JulieP,

I see you’ve posted on the Helpline and I’m sure they will respond, but meanwhile I thought I’d take the chance to welcome you to the online community. You're newly diagnosed and have just started methotrexate - it’s understandable that you are feeling a bit nervous about everything at the moment as there’s quite a lot to take in when you first receive your diagnosis and medication. You’ve certainly made a good decision to join the community - all the members have experience of living with some form of arthritis and several take methotrexate. We’re a friendly bunch and I’m sure members will be pleased to reassure you as you begin your new journey.

Methotrexate can cause photo-sensitivity, so your thoughts about covering up, using sunscreen ( highest factor is recommended ) and wearing hats and glasses are all very sensible. In fact, photo sensitive or not, they are good suggestions for anyone out in the sun. I’d also suggest you try and stay in the shade if you’re sitting outside. I’ve been photosensitive due to my RA meds for 15 years and I find that using spf 50; covering up with linen or cotton clothes, and sitting in the shade has kept me free from being burnt.

The Versus Arthritis website has a good deal of general information about methotrexate that you might find useful to read:

Do continue to post any questions you might have - there’s sure to be someone with a similar experience who’ll be able to answer you.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Hi @JulieP,

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I’m sorry you’re feeling nervous about everything at the moment. As Anna says, that’s very understandable – you’ve had a lot to adjust to, with the recent diagnosis and starting on the medication.

It’s good that you’re thinking ahead about the holiday. I hope you’ve found the link Anna shared helpful and that her 15 years’ experience of managing photosensitivity puts your mind at rest for your break away later this week. Thanks for sharing that Anna.

I really hope you can relax and enjoy your mini-break. I’m sure a few days away will be really good for you. If you’d like to talk anything though with one of our advisors before you go, or on your return, you’re welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520.  We’re here to help with any aspect of living with RA.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team

• JulieP
    JulieP Member Posts: 4

Thanks Anna and Mags.

It’s good to know that there are kind people who can help a “ newbie “ !