Which splint?

Options

Hi,

I am 50 and diagnosed OA. I would like to try to wear a splint to manage my pain but there are so many and my GP is not very helpful.

How have you chosen yours?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Claire

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 887
    Options

Hello @claire41 and welcome to our community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope you experience that as well.

I understand that you have OA and are looking for a splint to help, though you don't say for which part of your body. However you can find a lot of helpful info on our website and using the search function, I've put a couple of links below to hep get you started.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you get on and hopefully others will share their experience as well

With very best wishes

Peter (mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @claire41

You haven't said where you have osteoarthritis, which makes it a bit tricky. Here is a link re wrist splints of different types

I have bought my own splints now but I had splints from physio first so I knew what I needed. I think most areas can self refer to a physio now, that might be a good way forward.

For me it was a wrist splint, an elasticated covering closed with velcro so I could adjust it as sometimes I have more swelling than usual. It has a metal bar to give support and restrict certain movement of the wrist, though sometimes I take this out (if I'm using a walking stick). It leaves all my knuckles, fingers and thumb unaided.

Let us know a bit more about you OA

Take care

Yvonne x

• WobblyJen
    WobblyJen Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have OA in my knees (in the left since age 48 and more recently aged 52 in the right.) I was offered an osteotomy as too young for knee replacement. I wasn't ready to undergo such major surgery so my surgeon referred me to orthotics to get an Ossur Unloader brace. I have had it for 4 years and it has made a huge difference. I wore it a lot to begin with but now only wear it for longer dog walks or when going over uneven ground as I think its important for my muscles to do their thing. Just been referred for one on the NHS for my right knee, but waiting list too long so paying £600 to get one fitted privately. If it works as well as the left it will be well worth it!

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @WobblyJen. You first post was placed in to a moderation queue but has now been released to roam free!

I am sure that your experience will be of benefit to others. Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Tom.

• in2teaching
    in2teaching Member Posts: 22
    Options

How annoying - was going to suggest a referral from my gp. May try any way but may have to shell out the money myself. Just want to check - in your opinion are they worth the money? Do they really allow you to go on with fitness and life?