Sjogren’s Syndrome

Hi there! I’m newly diagnosed (Sept 2020) and have started on hydroxychloroquine, in March, I feel that my fatigue is lifting slightly but my painful joints are still there, especially in hands, wrists & feet. I find the pain wakes me every night. As I’m asthmatics I can’t take NSAID’s only paracetamol or co-codamol, and this only lasts 4 hours. Is there a longer lasting pain medication that could give me relief at night? Thanks in advance x

Comments

• Hi JuliaP21

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum about your recently diagnosed Sjögren’s.  I’m pleased the hydroxychloroquine is helping with the fatigue, but I’m sorry you’re in so much pain, especially at night.

Here is a link to our information about Sjögren’s.   It includes a section on treatment and managing symptoms, which may be helpful if you haven’t already seen it.  It sounds as if you may need a medication review if the hydroxychloroquine isn’t helping to reduce the joint pain.

You may also find this information helpful:

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. We can support you with conversations with your rheumatologist about the treatment options available. I do hope you’ll give us a call.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team