Osteoarthritis in hands

Options
DD_Angel
DD_Angel Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, my name is Doreen & I’ve just joined Versus Arthritis & would like to ask a question. I have OA in a number of my joints but would like to ask a specific question about arthritis in the hands. I’ve had arthritis for many years & this week I saw a consultant about one of my fingers, I won’t bore you with all the details but I’ve been given a choice of what they’ve suggested doing.

1. joint replacement
  2. Fusion of the finger
  3. Steroid injection

I was told that if they did the joint replacement and if it failed for whatever reason, I would have to have the fusion done. The steroid injection would only be a temporary fix as I see it.

Has anyone had either of these procedures and if so could you describe your experience and would you recommend it?

thank you for any advice you can give.

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    edited 26. Jun 2021, 09:34
    Options

Hello @DD_Angel

Welcome to the online community and thank you for sharing your story with us all here.

So you have OA and just this week you saw a surgeon regarding one of your fingers. You have been given three potential treatments and are wondering if anyone has experienced them and could recommend one of them.

I dont have any personal experience of what you are going through or the options that you have been presented with. However, I do believe that you have come to the right place and that people on this forum will be able to offer you some advice and experiences that may help you decide.

I have included the below help and advice regarding arthritis in the hands and fingers as well as information on pain. You may have come across the information before, but if not, than you may find it helpful. Please feel free to look around the main Versus Arthritis website as it has lots and lots of information and guidance on there.

Please do keep posting and I really hope that someone here can help with your questions.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• lacton64
    lacton64 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello Doreen, I have OA in some of my fingers and have been offered a steroid injection, I didn't realise that you could have a joint replaced in a finger - is that on the NHS? I would like to hear from someone who has had this done too.

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @DD_Angel

May I suggest that you start a discussion in the Living with Arthritis category and put something like knuckle joint replacement/fusion in the title so members will see what you are looking for. I think we have had a member who had a fusion, I shall have a think

Take care

Yvonne x