I'm finding things really difficult

Out of the blue I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in October 2020 and was prescribed Sulfasalazine and then also Methotrexate and NSAIDs. I've been in a lot of pain since early May despite consultations with both my GP and rheumatology clinic. Ten days ago my heart went into atrial fibrillation and I was rushed to A&E. I've never before had a problem with my heart and I honestly feel this was caused by the joint pain I was in. I'm now on heart medication so they stopped my Etodalac NSAID. Last Thursday I was rushed back to hospital due to my pain levels. I was given morphine and 12 hours later given 80mg Kenalog injection after being admitted. I've been kept in the hospital since then for observation and pain relief. Today I was seen by a rheumatology consultant who said he sees no signs of PsA and thinks I may have osteoarthritis.

I'm really at my wit's end with all of this.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I'm not surprised you're at your wits end, Jamie. Even a bad diagnosis is, for most of us, easier to deal with than uncertainty.

I don't think pain can cause atrial fibrillation but NSAIDS certainly can especially when coupled with your current stress levels.

Your covid does seem to have caused all the waters to be muddied. I can only suggest the very difficult course of relaxing as much as you can doing whatever does relax you personally, and waiting for things to resolve into more clarity. Far, far easier said than done.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Oh dear @jamieA

I really feel for you what an awful experience all round - I am assuming you are still in hospital now.

Was the Rheumatologist you say your usual one? If not, in your shoes, I would want to see him or her in order to discuss your diagnosis and this second consultants contradictory opinion.

Wishing you the very best and hoping things get under control for you sooner rather than later. Please do post again and let us know how you are doing.

Ellen.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Thanks for the comments @stickywicket and @Ellen .

Yes I'm still in hospital and will be for at least a couple more days. I've just been taken off oxygen and they've changed my pain medication to Dihydrocodeine. That seems to have taken the edge off the pain.

I'd been prescribed Amitriptyline 6-7 months ago to help me sleep. Two weeks before my heart issue it was increased by the rheumatology clinic I attend to combat the pain interrupting my night sleep and I wonder if that had a bearing.

The rheumatologist wasn't the one I've been assigned. The one I've been assigned hasn't examined me - in fact he's never moved from behind his desk in the 2 consultations I've had. It's complicated in that my local hospital where my consultant is doesn't have an A&E so I'm in a different hospital seen by a different consultant.

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Wow @jamieA what a lot to take on board. Make sure you rest up for your days in hospital, then have a chat with your GP and rheumy clinic when you get back home. Clearly it would be a good idea for you to be seen this time - and maybe repeat any tests that were done initially.

Sending you strength and some gentle (((()))) (hugs) to help you along

xx