Hello from Lincoln, UK

fabian
fabian Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello

My name is Fabian and I live in lincoln in the UK. I'm 75 and have Arthritis in my right hand and foot. I've been having trouble with my right hand for a while now, the thumb and small finger, in particular, have a slight ache in them. I thought it was just old age creeping up on me and didn't pay that much attention at first.

Then, on Monday afternoon, the pain was more intense than usual. On Tuesday morning, I woke at about 5.30 am with excruciating pain in my right hand. It was something I'd never experienced before. There wasn't any good place to lay the hand that would stop the pain. I spent the next 3 hours trying desperately to place my hand in different positions in the hope of some relief.

I ended up with the hand draped over my stomach. This seems to be the best place I can find that gives me some peace. The hand is swollen and puffy, but thankfully it's just in the hand and nowhere else. I'm unable to get dressed and (just got tracksuit bottoms and a cardigan) on, just waiting for it to subside enough to be able to dress myself and go and get some pain relief and food.

I hope by coming here I can get some information to help me get on top of my Arthritis and stay there.

Thanks a lot.

Fabian

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 11. Jun 2021, 17:58

Hi @fabian

Welcome to the online community, its really great you have found us.

You have said that you have Arthritis in your right hand and foot and have recently had very severe excrutiating pain in your hand getting no pain relief from different positions. Have you gone to your GP? as it sounds as if you need medication that will ease the pain and re -diagnosis of your condition.There is help for you. Meanwhile here are a few links that may help you

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Versus Arthritis | All of us pushing to defy arthritis

Osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist (versusarthritis.org).

Hope the links help you.I would recommend you talk to others on our forums,you will find everyone friendly and informative.

Please let us know how you get on with everything.

Take care and all the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• fabian
    fabian Member Posts: 7

Hi Christine

Many thanks for the reply and for posting my first post.

I have an appointment on Monday with my doctor to discuss what treatments are available for the Arthritis in my hand and I'll let you know what he suggests. I'm glad I joined the forum as I can come back and see what the members think of my doctor's assessment and prescribed treatment.

I also wanted to look at different foods I should be avoiding and the stuff I should add to my shopping list in the future. I've seen on YouTube that Strawberries and Blueberries are good for me but wanted a broader range of food as I am Diabetic (2) as well and got to watch the sugar intake at the same time.

Thanks again for the reply.

Best of luck.

Fabian.