Does Beetroot infame the joints

Options

Hi

After my first brush with Arthritis (Which has somewhat diminished in pain) I, like many rushed out and found foods that are good for my Arthritis and those that are not. I shan't put them in here as I'm still working on that bit. I also bought several books from Amazon.

But one product I really like in summer is Beetroot, the little baby ones in a jar made by Haywards. I used to sit down and eat a whole jar at once. (Their only small after all)

I've searched in Google and YouTube but no information is forthcoming. Even though I put beetroot in the title all the results seem to dodge around the question.

So here I am. Does beetroot inflame my joints or not. I'm hoping it doesn't as I still have 2 and a half jars of the stuff in my kitchen cupboard, but if It's a No-No then I'll dump them in the bin without a second thought.

I never heard of Bone Broth before, but it's supposed to be really good for joints. One of the foods I've added to my Yes list which is getting longer by the day.

By the way, my Doctor has prescribed some pain killers and made an appointment for me to have an Arthritis blood test, so it's a step in the right direction.

Hope your all well

Fabian.

Tagged:

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @fabian

Finding reputable information on the web is difficult, but I have found this report from the American National Institutes for Health National Center for Biotechnology Information, which has a .gov ending for their website which implies that it's a properly researched institute.... The report suggests there may be a benefit derived from beetroot with inflammation. You can have a read yourself:

I can't find anything which says it's bad, so you're almost certainjly fine to eat it!

I'm glad to hear that your doctor is doing blood tests to help diagnose you. Do remember blood tests only work on some types of srthritis - Osteoarthritis, for example (which is the most common type) doesn't show up in blood tests, sometimes doesn't show up in x-rays and can be diagnosed by a manual examination of the doctor on your joints and your symptoms.

Hope this helps!

Shell

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

My advice, after years of RA and OA would be to forget the diet peddlars and just eat a healthy, Mediterranean-type diet in equally healthy amounts. I'm sure beetroot would be OK with that (I have it at least once a week in salads) but to eat anything by the jar would seem to me to be excessive and possibly counterproductive. We can't eat our way out of arthritis but we can eat our way into problems.

By the way, beware any books / websites that advise diets etc 'for arthritis'. If they don't distinguish between OA and inflammatory forms of arthritis they know very little about it.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • fabian
    fabian Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello Shell and stickywicket

I'd like to thank you both for responding to my inquiry concerning Beetroot. I'm relieved to know I don't have to ditch the jars after all and will enjoy Beetroot with my salad for the next 3 days. I know it's ecsesive to consume a whole jar at once but at 75 I don't get many pleasures to look forward to.

Shell, I've bookmarked the PMC page and will go back to it tomorrow as it's pretty lengthy and will take a while to read.

Stickywicket, I'll take your advice and return the 2 books I bought from Amazon and stop looking for other books of that type. My list of 'good' foods is steadily growing and is now at 21. Omega 3 keeps popping up so I ordered some Mackrel and Tuna from Tesco along with Walnuts and Brazil. There's also a Walnut Oil which I scoured Tesco for but couldn't find any. I'll stick with the Walnut for now. Would you advise buying any Omega 3 health supplements or just stick with the real thing?

I know people's bodies are different and a switch in the diet with the above products will have different results, but generally, how long does it take the diet to show any effect after a flare.

I'll leave it there, for now,

Hope you are both as well as can be expected.

Fabian.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

A word of warning, my Father used to love beetroot and often had beetroot sandwiches. One day he ran screaming out of the loo as he was peeing blood and needed a doctor; it turned out he had just over-done the beetroot!

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Hi Fabian. All you need to know about fish oils / omega 3 is here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/complementary-and-alternative-treatments/types-of-complementary-treatments/fish-oils/

Mike, yes, my son, aged about 6, had the same experience the day after I had brought some beetroot in from the garden and boiled it. He swore he hadn't nicked any 😉

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • fabian
    fabian Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi stickywichet

Thanks a lot for the Omega 3 link although it has thrown up another problem for me.

quote: "You shouldn’t use fish oil if you take anticoagulants because fish oil can interfere with blood clotting"

I'm on warfarin as my heart misses a beat now and again, (in other words, it means its been broken by a long line of beautiful women over the years)

I like Mackrel and sardines which I've eaten for years without any blood clotting, so I'll stick with them for now.

All the best.

Fabian.