Have You Heard About Joint School?
Joint School for hip or knee replacement surgery
When I had my TKR (total knee replacement) I got the following information below from my Health Board. Looking around it seems most areas now offer Joint School. There is even a Joint School App for those who have had their operation postponed.
Before your operation, you will be invited to attend Joint School at the hospital.
This is a patient focussed education programme lasting approximately 2 hours, which gives you the opportunity to speak to the hospital staff and find out everything you need to know about your hip or knee replacement.
The kind of things that you will learn about include:
- Information about your joint
- How to prepare before surgery: Exercises to do, preparing your home, involving your family
- Coming to the hospital: where to go, when to arrive, what to bring
- The anaesthetic: What are the options available?
- Your recovery in hospital: What to expect
- Managing pain after surgery: medication and other techniques
- How long will you be in hospital? How will you know when you can safely return home?
- Living with your new joint: What will it look like? What will you be able to do and not do?
Have you been to Joint School? What did you think of it? How long were you in hospital?
Let us know how it was for you in the Comments below.