Pain

Options

I am in constant pain and seem to have creeping osteoarthritis.

The arthritis started in the thumb joints and then it went to my knees.

I have now had two new knee joints and am pain free there but my shoulders have developed osteoarthritis and this hinders movement so much. I am intolerant to opiates and so am restricted to the pain killers I can take. I tried Gabapentin and I found no pain relief with this. I go to a Medical Herbalist for regular massages which helps and take regular exercise. The recent pandemic has reduced the amount of exercise I can take although I have managed to walk daily.

I try hard to exercise my shoulder joints but this is almost impossible due to the pain and the situation is almost crippling. Is there anything else that I can do to manage this situation.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @TheQuine29 welcome to the Online Community, great to have you join us.

I understand that being restricted in the range of pain medication and with osteoarthritis in the shoulders the pain you experience can be quite debilitating. We have some helpful information on our web site that you may like to take a look at regarding pain management in this area:

You may like to take a look at these gentle exercises for those with shoulder pain

Do join in across the Community, ask questions, give advice or call in for a chat to say how you are getting. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi TheQuine29

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain and that you are limited to the type of pain relief that you can take. I understand from your posting that you are trying hard to exercise your shoulder joints but the pain you are in makes this very difficult. I see that Brynmor has responded to your posting with a link to our information about shoulder pain and how to manage this and gentle exercises for shoulder pain.   

I understand that you are limited to the type of pain relief you can use but it may be helpful to speak to your GP again about possible pain relief and to also ask them about a referral to a physiotherapist who can provide advice and support about exercise.  I have also put a link below for further information about managing pain that talks about other treatments. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Managing your pain - Treatments and self help

I would like to encourage you to call us here on the helpline if you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team. You can call us on 0800 5200 520 (Monday to Friday 9am – 6pm.

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor