Hello

Mike413
Mike413 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

My name is Mike. I am 74 years old and live alone. I have been suffering with Arthritis in the hips for the past 6 years and recently it has been getting more painful. Doctor will not refer me for any replacement treatment at this time asking I manage the pain, which I do by exercise and diet.

I feel I need support and advice of like arthritis suffers who understand the trails and needs of dealing with this painful disease.

I look forward to hearing about other peoples experiences.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 18. Jun 2021, 14:25

Hello @Mike413

And a very warm welcome to the online community.You say you have Arthritis in your hips for the last 6 years and recently it is getting more painful but you manage the pain through diet and exercise.Your Doctor will not refer you at this time for replacement surgery,so you need the support of others who understand the trails and needs of dealing with pain. Well you have come to the right place because everyone on the forums have some form of arthritis and varying degrees of pain. Everyone is friendly and understand what you are going through on a daily basis and will chat and give advice.

I am giving you a link which may help with your pain management

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Hope you get on alright and please keep in touch to tell us how you are going on

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi Mike, sorry to hear about your arthritic hips, it's a miserable condition. I've just had one hip replaced, and suspect the other will need replacing in the future, so I know how awful this can get. Is there a reason why your GP isn't recommending hip replacement? Or even guided steroid injections to manage the pain? How well is it being managed with medication?

For some reason the link Christine provided doesn't seem to be working, so I've added it again below. There are lots of really useful tips for pain management on here. See what works for you (although one of the most useful I found was distration, ie taking your focus away from the pain by getting absorbed in something else). Keep posting on here as well, either for advice or just for a moan or a natter, we all know how it feels on here, and it's such a lovely friendly place, with years of arthritis experience to share.

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791

Hi @Lilymary

for noticing the link didnt work and for putting it up again.I cant understand why it didnt.. Must check my other links

Thanks again Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mike413
    Mike413 Member Posts: 5

Hi Christine

The doctor advised that it is best if I can delay surgery as long as possible. I manage the pain through exercise and paracetamol. The paracetamol only really takes the edge off the pain but I am not keen to go down the Ibuprophen route at the moment because off the like side effects. I find using a walking cane has help me a lot.

Thanks for the links. I will research them.

Best wishes

Mike