Newly diagnosed

stompboxmum
stompboxmum Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I’m 39 year old mum of 3 and I’ve recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my feet, ankles, knees, wrists, hands, fingers and spine. I haven’t actually seen anyone face to face because of covid. I had an MRI of my back 3 years ago as I’ve had pain for years. I had an ultrasound scan in September last year and I got a telephone call to tell me I had osteoarthritis a week ago. I feel a bit lost at the moment.

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    edited 28. Jun 2021, 10:08

Good morning @stompboxmum

You have had pain for quite a while maybe starting in your spine and now you have been given a diagnosis of osteoarthritis OA in multiple joints. I'm not surprised you are wondering what happens now and feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing.

There are quite a few of us here with widespread OA so the first thing to know is that you are not alone. I've had it since my early 40's after a fall reminded me I was planning to see the doctor about a difficulty I had with my wrist. I then wished (in some ways) that I hadn't gone! However it's always better to know I think because then you can start making plans, problem solving and so on.

Here's a link to osteoarthritis - it's really comprehensive and worth a careful read

And here is the link in particular for OA of the spine

Have a look around the community and do join in wherever you feel comfortable

Take care

Yvonne x

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Distraction, which is basically doing something you enjoy and can do, may also help take your mind off the pain. Mind you, being a young mum of 3 I am sure you get quite a bit of distraction!

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Hi @stompboxmum

Although I have OA in lots of places, most of them are generally 'ticking over' in the pain department and are not a worry, my main concerns at the moment are in my hands and wrists, I used a pair of shears yesterday, I know I should have thought about the consequences, but I just knew it would get the job done so much quicker ... I am back to wearing my splints all day.

For me pain management is key and meds will be organised by your GP if you need stronger meds than those offered in general. Then there is exercise to help keep the muscles strong so they give the best support to your joints, and then finding new ways to do things so you keep doing everything you want to even if it's in a slightly different way. I have a kettle tipper which keeps me independent when making a cuppa and I have various aids around the house and garden.

Keep posting!

xx