Rheumatoid Arthritis



I've been diagnosed and lived with severe RA for the last 20 years. I've been on various biological therapies which I tolerate for a few months then have had to discontinue due to side effects. I've recently relocated back to Wales from France and now find myself in a desperate situation with no medication and my RA out of control so that my every day life is severely affected. I've registered with my local GP but unable to get a telephone appointment for weeks so no chance of a referral to a rheumatologist for a long time. I'm not sure how much longer I can continue with just pain relief as my inflammation is now severe in all joints. Not sure if there are any other avenues available for help for me to explore. I appreciate the situation right now during the pandemic. Would appreciate any help or advice you can give me please.


  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

    Hi @EJay

    It's great to meet you, welcome to the community.

    You need to get your RA meds organised now you are back in Wales but can't see a way how to do this. Can you ring your surgery and explain your situation to the receptionist and ask for a phone appointment to discuss this with a GP. You could try doing the same with NHS Wales helpline 111.

    When you are sorted out do come back to our community where you can share your highs and lows, help fellow members and take time out for distraction in the chat area

    Take care

    Yvonne x

  • helpline_team

    Hi @EJay

    Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I'm sorry you find yourself in such a difficult situation since you relocated back to Wales.

    Thanks to Yvonne for suggesting that you seek support with your situation via your new GP practice or through the NHS Wales helpline 111. I hope this helps you to access a rheumatology team, and suitable treatments, as quickly as possible.  

    Although it’s unlikely that they can provide practical support with accessing a GP or rheumatologist, you may also like to contact the nearest local group to you. They will have more local knowledge, understanding of your situation and may be suggest other avenues for you to explore. You can find out more here:

    You are welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. 

    I hope this is helpful.

    Best wishes


    Helpline Team