Worrying about knees locking up

Options
Jadelady73
Jadelady73 Member Posts: 61
edited 29. Jun 2021, 12:41 in Living with arthritis

Hi iam feeling worried about my knees locking up on me and it's affecting me at the moment I can't stop thinking when is it going to happen has anyone got any advice I do feel a bit silly I do my exercises every day does this help

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options

You are doing the right thing @Jadelady73 doing your exercises definitely.

Have your knees locked in the past has it made you fall or nearly fall? If so maybe you should consider walking aids of some sort? Crutches? a rollator?

You can ask for a referral to see a physio via your GP ((()))

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options

Jadelady, what did you do a few days ago when it happened? How did you overcome it then? Focus on that and on that knowledge that, even if it does happen, you know you can deal with it.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DaveVW
    DaveVW Member Posts: 15
    Options

Am I allowed to say this made me laugh a little? You see, I'm exactly the same, and it seems so bizarre when say, you're walking to the store and you're having to analyze every step to see if the knee is going swing your foot into the right position! Just ridiculous! I've never had to be so aware of a body part before, yet when walking you have to monitor the pain, keep your eye on the swinging leg, etc. Have you also found walking on pavements is really difficult, because they aren't flat, with slopes etc? I have to walk in the road now!

Which of course, isn't funny in any way. But like you, I'm a normal human being of normal intelligence, and finding I have to think about how to walk is such an abstract and strange thing, isn't it? We don't entirely know what our own bodies are going to do next!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

@DaveVW , I can relate to this, I’m recovering from hip replacement surgery, and I've never been so aware of every little bump and hollow in the pavement, every kerb stone, every puddle, every slight change of gradient. It’s like learning to walk all over again, when tiny obstacles can result in a tumble. I’m improving, but carefree walking down the road seems a long time ago. Thank heaven for my stick, my third leg, which has saved me on many occasions!

• DaveVW
    DaveVW Member Posts: 15
    Options

Next thing we know it'll be a life of screaming "get off the lawn!" out the window at kids playing in the street. 🤣

Let's be honest, we've become one of the old creaky people we used to laugh about. What a realization. I guess we must keep in mind that things could be worse. Although again, I do laugh when I'm looking at bookshelves and thinking, "No, won't be able to use those bottom shelves, I'm never going to be able to get down there."

What has become of us? 😁