Diagnosed today with OA of the Spine

Options
BigGayDad
BigGayDad Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Good Morning all

Have to say I feel a bit lost.... received a diagnosis from my GP this morning of OA of the spine and pretty much that was it from the GP. No care plan, support, future care etc discussed. Just not sure where to go or what to do, is this going to greatly effect my life, I'm a single dad of 3 and only 47? If anyone can point me in any (good) direction to perhaps help me understand my options/future, I would be terribly grateful.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

Michael

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum @BigGayDad.

Your GP has told you that you have OA of the spine, but otherwise offered no help. Here is some basic information to get you started on your journey:

Most people say that exercise helps:

We wish you luck and do let us know how you get on.

Tom

• stompboxmum
    Options

Tom, I’ve recently been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my feet, ankles, knees, spine, hands, fingers and wrists. I’m 39 and mum if 3. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago by rheumatology consultant and they’ve told me to go to see my GP. I’m in limbo at the moment as the hospital haven’t written to my GP yet (they hope to do it in the next 2 weeks!) and my GP won’t see/speak to me until I have the letter. I feel a bit lost too. Good luck in your journey xx

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hi @BigGayDad,

I was just reading your post and wondered how you were doing?

If you are unhappy with the lack of information you received from the GP, I would encourage you to go back to them and ask the questions you feel were not answered at the time of your diagnosis.

I can completely understand you feeling unnerved by this new situation added to your life but please know that you can always speak to someone hear on the community. You most definitely are not on your own, although I understand you will feel this way at times.

As Tom said, exercising and strengthening the muscles in your back will help in the long run.

If you have any other questions or queries, please feel free to ask the people in the community.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 148
    Options

I can well understand that you feel 'lost' after a diagnosis of spinal OA. It is a shock and there is seldom any clear prognosis. GPs know a little about a lot and do their best but are limited by available medication, in what referrals they can make and by how conversant they are with current research into OA.

You are quite right in defining it as the beginning of a journey and mine started before I was 40, affecting a number of joints and including most areas of my spine. Over 35 years later I am glad that I was given no definitive image of the way my OA might progress since I have been able to achieve far more than I might have anticipated.

Perhaps I've been exceptionally lucky and am always grateful for the life I have lived and continue to live with the support of husband, children, grandchildren and good friends.

Yes, t can be very 'rough' at times but there are ways forward through both the dearth of effective advice and the mass of information. The links given above by Moderator Tom are well worth following up though. Knowledge is definitely power when you are facing a future that no medical expert can accurately predict. The road will be different for everyone but you will get to know your own body well enough to explain your specific concerns to your GP and anyone to whom you are referred. Research into all forms of OA is forging ahead and who knows what exciting break-throughs in treatment - funded by VA - may soon be available via the NHS?

It may sound bad now but I hope that as I have done, you will find the right support among family, friends and medics to make your journey interesting and your outlook bright.

Let me know if I can give any help via this thread or with a personal message. 💌