Hello

Options
JACKIE27
JACKIE27 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi I am new to the group.

I have been living with OA in the hips for about 5 years, it has been getting progressively worse and in Jan 2021 I was out on the waiting list for a double hip replacement.

I am 59 years old and due to be 60 in October.

i use to be a keep fit fanatic, training 4/5 times per week at the gym, I cycled and swam and loved walking in the mountains. I can’t do any of that anymore. I still walk 2/3 per week and aim for 10,000 steps per day.

I am hoping this group will be a resource and support as I await the day all those things will return

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Welcome @JACKIE27 to the online community,

You have been living with OA in your hips for a number of years now and have been recommended to have a double hip replacement. You describe your fitness regime and I am full of admiration for your determination to continue with a high level of exercise despite the worsening of your condition. Exercise is recommended for all of us who have arthritis and I attach a link to Lets Move with Leon

The online community offers a variety of forums and activities and I hope you have a browse round to find discussions or humour that will help support you whilst you wait for your operation date. There are many members who have had joint replacement surgery and who share their feelings about the wait and the post operation journey. This is a great place to seek for information and also to vent your feelings when you need to share with others in a similar place.

I hope you get a hospital date soon. Do keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Hi @JACKIE27 , welcome to this lovely forum from another “hippie”. Both at once must be tough to deal with, but well done continuing to do what you can to keep yourself going. I’ve recently had my left hip replaced, but can really relate to missing the big walks and mountains. I found doing low level walks much easier, or simply going for a paddle in the river, a picnic, a bit of birdwatching, or working in the garden, any excuse to be outside if my hip was stopping play. You might finding cycling and swimming can take the place of high impact exercise and big walks.

There’s lots of experience and support on this site, they saw me through some really difficult times, so do keep posting.