Hello

Options
Clairemem
Clairemem Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi all,

At 35 years old, after quite a few years of thinking I had tight hips, and the pain from long walks turning in to pain from short walks, I finally went to the GP about my hips. Thankfully, they listened and I managed to get in to the system, being referred to a podiatrist, physio and consultant in one go. I was sent for an x-ray and then an MRI and was diagnosed with OA of both my hips (the right one being worse) potentially due to deep sockets. I'm happy that blood tests have confirmed that I have no underlying conditions. But the diagnosis of OA is somewhat crushing as I'm pretty young and know that it's only going to get worse. I try to avoid taking painkillers, and have said no to steroid injections for now until I know a little more about them.

Any pearls of wisdom would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @Clairemem, welcome to the Online Community! It's lovely to have you here.

I see that you have recently been diagnosed with OA in your hips. First of all, here's a page all about the condition:

And one about steroid injections, it's good to be informed about possible treatments and hopefully this helps:

As you say that you used to enjoy long walks, I just thought I'd make you aware of the Let's Move With Leon programme, which has guided exercises designed around arthritis. Careful exercise can be really beneficial for people with arthritis as it can can strengthen the surrounding muscles and keep the affected joints lubricated, which can reduce pain and help mobility in the long term.

I hope you enjoy browsing the Online Community and feel free to join in with any discussion.

Best wishes, Sarah (moderator)

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    Options

Hi @Clairemem

I'm afraid OA is no respecter of age, I'm like you but it was my knees that were the problem. They had always been creaky, probably since 17 or so, but I still enjoyed loads of activities so no worries then. However when I got to my 30's I knew there would maybe be an issue as they weren't very flexible any more, I could get on the floor OK but getting up wasn't so easy. I was 42 when I got my diagnosis and waited until 60 to get on the waiting list and Daisy (my total knee replacement) arrived when I was almost 62.

I can see why they want to delay, to mean you will hopefully not need another replacement but there is also the issue of quality of life while you are working age and with children and so on.

I would really strongly recommend you do all the exercises recommended to strengthen your hips, strong muscles will help keep our hips going much longer, pay attention to posture, and try not to get too heavy, towards the end I managed, with help from Mum and oh to lose 3 stones and it did make a difference to my knees.

Personally I was for pain relief, initially at need, latterly on a regular basis and I have also had steroid injections which, when they work is fantastic. Strangely an injection could fail but then the next one could be brilliant, don't quite see how that works.

In hindsight I wish I had pushed earlier for a replacement and I have to say Daisy is a very well behaved knee!

xx