Local steroid knee injection

Options

Hi everyone

I am on biologic injections for my R A but I also have Osteoarthritis in my knee that my doc suggests I have a steroid injection .

my question is is it ok to have this ?

thank you

Comments

• Hi @Thomastysn, welcome to the Online Community! It's lovely to have you here.

I see that you take biologics for rheumatoid arthritis, and your doctor is suggesting a steroid injection for the osteoarthritis in your knee. Here's a resource all about steroid injections that you might find useful:

If you are concerned about combining the drugs, here's a quote from that page that might give you some reassurance:

You can take other medicines with steroid injections. However, if you’re taking a drug that thins the blood, known as an anticoagulant (for example, warfarin), you may need an extra blood test to make sure that your blood is not too thin to have the injection.

You don't say which biologic, but rituximab, tocilizumab, and sarilumab are examples that are often prescribed alongside other treatments including steroids. 

Hopefully this helps! Of course if you are worried then please do ask your doctor/rheumatologist.

All the best, Sarah (moderator)