MBST for Ankle and Subtalar joint

Options

hi everyone, just new to this forum so just saying hello and give a bit of background.

I had ankle surgery about 3 years ago to remove bone spurs and calcifications. All went ok and recovered a lot of movement back and a bit less pain. Unfortunately my main problems lie within my subtalar joint. Where the only option seems to be fusion, which i'm holding off from doing till i absolutely have to.

Looking at trying other treatments and came across MBST and thinking about giving it a go, for the subtalar arthritis.

Don't know if anyone has had any experience?

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Welcome @dshamilt to the online community

You have had problems with your ankle for a number of years resulting in surgery which gave you back some movement and reduced the pain but you are still concerned about your subtalar joint.

The particular treatment MBST - Magnetic Resonance Therapy, is not one I have any personal experience of but it may well be that members of the community will be able to offer you advice and support about this. For some conditions TENS -Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation has found to be a useful tool to help relieve pain , this may be an alternative for you to investigate with the guidance of your medical team.

I attach a link to the basic exercises for ankles and feet page which you may find helpful, also the Helpline team might have information about MBST that you can discuss with them

I am sure members of the community will be able to share their advice and support about your concerns with problem ankles and your reluctance to go for fusion surgery.

Do keep in touch

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• dshamilt
    dshamilt Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi Poppyjane

Thank you so much for sharing the above information.

Other than the odd (miracle type story) from MBST testimonials on their site, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot out there.

I've read an older thread on this forum from 2011/12 ish. But not an awful lot seems to be covered since then

I would really appreciate any others experiences of MBST. I will into TENs for sure. Not been the best at managing it of late, which hasn't helped. So thanks for the exercises too

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

From Advertising Standards Authority https://www.asa.org.uk/advice-online/health-magnetic-resonance-therapy.html

Save your money. My own ankles fused themselves and are now pain free. Mind you, I gather speed when going down steep hills😁

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dshamilt
    dshamilt Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks Stickywicket, that article from advertising standards doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in MBST