Introduction

DaveVW
DaveVW Member Posts: 13

Hello all.

My name is Dave, and I have Osteoarthritis in both knees. This is largely due to my weight, I'm told. I am 59 years of age.

I imagine my story is pretty much the same as everyone else here. There's nothing extraordinary about either myself nor my illness. What started as a simple ache has quickly become out and out pain. My mobility has taken a nose dive, and at times it's very painful. First thing in the day, when I wake, it can be difficult to stand up, and take my first steps. Once I do, things seem to sort themselves out.

I am prescribed two painkillers, just the standard ones - Zapain 500/30 at 1 or 2 four times a day (it's always two for me, because of the pain), and one 500mg of Naproxen, taken at the same time. This keeps the main pain at bay, but there's never a point where I can say I'm pain free. There's always an awareness of my knee's, if that makes sense. At its worse, it's enough to bring a tear to the eye, but we soldier on!

Sadly, the idea of going to work (as in a commute by public transport, and then working in an office with a lot of moving about) is problematic. I don't think it's possible. Not sure how I could manage the London Underground, for example. I'm also constantly distracted by the pain, so it's a bit gloomy on that front.

I had X-Rays taken last week, and apparently there are fragments around my knee, which I assume is bone fragments? Not entirely sure, but that was explanation given as to why my left knee is worse than my right. I suspect that's entirely normal for this condition.

I have also been receiving medication for depression for a number of years. In all, a cocktail of 7 different medications per day.

Other than that, I'm just a normal guy. Nothing extraordinary, nothing too exciting. I've had a good life all in all, and having to face this has been difficult. I've never been in a situation where I'm willing, but my body is saying "no". I guess that's all part of getting older, which is itself a shock.

And that is it. My story. :)

Comments