Hi,

Elainem
Elainem Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I’ve just joined and I hope that it will be helpful for me to be able to chat to others who are dealing with similar problems and can therefore relate, understand and give helpful advice.

my name is Elaine, I’m a 45 year old female. I’ve suffered from hip pain in both hips for several years now. I was told that both my hip sockets were deeper than usual, this restricted movement somewhat but also made my hips more prone to damage. I had 3 arthroscopic surgeries to remove bony impingements and repair the torn labrum but this unfortunately wasn’t very helpful. I now have osteoarthritis in both hips, I assume this developed due to all the damage . I very quickly went from being very fit and active, walking daily and also training in martial arts several times a week to using crutches and basically being unable to sit, lay or stand without pain. I found that all this impacted my mental health almost as much as my physical health, I feel that along with losing my fitness, I also lost all my confidence and instead felt vulnerable and utterly useless. I’ve had to slowly come to terms with my new physical limitations but I still struggle with being in chronic pain and all the affects this has on a person. Anyway look forward to meeting you all.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Elainem welcome to the Online Community, good to have you here.

I understand following several years of problems with your hips, you now have real problems, going from being fit and active to experiencing chronic pain. This has also affected your mental health and makes you feel vulnerable.

Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis, and the hip is the second most commonly affected joint. We have some great information on our website relating to this which includes managing your condition and also tips on what to do when you feel depressed or anxious.

Do ask questions, give advice and say how you are getting on, joining in across the Community. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Elainem
    Elainem Member Posts: 3

Hi Brynmor

Thanks for your reply and warm welcome. I will definitely look at all the info on here as you never know what will be helpful.