Options
Summer09
Summer09 Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I have been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis (I have an immune problem that’s attacked my kidneys hence dialysis & transplant. It’s now attacked my healthy joints & now my eyes. i am still trying to understand the condition. Had it for approx 2 years & tried many drugs & now on Humira. Better days to start but having some hiccups. Told I’m in an acute flare up. I’m hoping that coming on here will give me more insight in this condition and having guidance & support with like minded people battling this condition.

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @Summer09 - welcome to the online community!

I see you've had a diagnosis of inflammatory arthritis for a couple of years, but now you're in a flare and you're looking for some more understanding of your arthritis and some support.

Inflammatory arthritis is normally Rheumatoid Arthritis - there are a few different types of arthrtis which are inflammatory, but this is the most common and it's also an auto-immune condition, so it seems to fit what you've said. It's also one of the conditions which is treated by Adalimumab (also known as Humira).

Have a look at the information in the link below, especially have a look at the section titled Managing Symptoms, which has a section on managing flare-ups.

Really the best thing you can do for yourself is take it gentle and a bit at a time. Flares don't last forever, but they can be a real pain when they're here. Take some painkillers - ask you pharmacist what you can take with your Humira safely - and you can ask your GP for a prescription to stronger pain killers as well for the flare. Cold compresses can help with pain from swelling, heat helps with pain when there's no swelling. Try to make sure you get enough sleep, as lack of sleep can mean more pain. Try taking some stronger painkillers about half an hour before bed, and make sure your bed is comfortable and doesn't have too much pressure on your painful joints - I use a memory foam mattress topper, so you can look around and see if there's anything which would work for you.

I'm sure some of our community will be along to suggest what works for them. Do have a look around yourself and join in with any discussions which interest you. Flares are a common issue for most members, so there are a few discussions around which may help.

Lovely to meet you!

Shell