Occupational Health Assessment

griff1964 Member Posts: 3
edited 23. Jul 2021, 08:58 in Chat to our Helpline Team

I’ve been diagnosed with severe hip OA in my left hip, moderate in my right hip and moderate in my left knee. My GP has said to walk with an aid (I’m now using a crutch outside of work)

I work as a Health Care Assistant with the Scottish NHS. I’m on my feet all day. I’ve been told I cannot use a crutch at work until I’ve had an OH assessment. It’s been nearly six weeks since my line manager has requested this. Does anyone have any idea of how long this might take? I’m really struggling.


  • Hi Griff1964,

    Thank you for posting on our helpline forum, I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling to get about with your condition.

    Unfortunately, I am unable to confirm how long it will take for you to see an Occupational therapist, but hopefully one of our on-line community will see your post, have been in a similar situation and will be able to advice.

    I am aware of though that there is a web site called Physio2U which is part of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, and on this website, you can access various treatments including self-referral to see a Occupational therapist, either through the NHS or privately, this could possibly be a quicker process, I have attached the link below.

    Best wishes


    Helpline Advisor

  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

    To my mind if your GP has told you to use a crutch and your Line Manager is not allowing it you could have a claim against your employer if your condition is made worse as a result. As a former professionally qualified Health & Safety Practitioner I consider that 6 weeks is far too long to wait for an OT assessment. You could contact the Adult Social Care Department at your Council and ask if they could undertake an OT assessment for you, I know they do them if you are having problems around the house but it is worth a try.